Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chaulky gel-coat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73483-chaulky-gel-coat.html)

cuda 03-08-2004 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by marinetrans
It should work good w/ my new Milwaukee polisher.
I, err, Debbie has the same polisher. :)

Pismo10 03-17-2005 02:32 PM

Re: Chaulky gel-coat

What model Milwaukee polisher is that??

t500hps 03-17-2005 03:26 PM

I just used collinite wax to finish off the Formula. It goes on easy, kinda hard to get off, but looks like it will last a summer of washings. Took 2 coats and shines like nothing I've used before.
Although I will be trying aqua-buff next time I tackle a chalky boat.

VeeCat 03-17-2005 11:47 PM

A lot of elbow grease
Compound, whatever kind you like to work with and a good buffer and pad. No matter what you use it takes time and patience to make it look great. The compound makes a lasting like new shine, not the wax. The wax protects after the shine is achieved. Shortcuts as in pledge, baby oil, ect. work for real short periods of time. Used car dealers have a multitude of patches that work very temporarilly. Most guy's that detail cars are not good on boats. They are worried about burning thru the paint as on a car. Gelcoat needs aggressive pad work almost like sanding to make the shine come back. Think of it as sanding thru the bad or faded gelcoat to get to the shiny part. Your compound is sanding for you. Even with a good polisher it a lot of elbow grease. The good is the that the shine lasts and you created it.
VeeCat

GregP 03-18-2005 06:47 AM

I must be doing something wrong (?) as I tried Aquabuff but didn't think it did much of anything. 3M Microcut worked much better.

-Greg

Pismo10 06-08-2005 08:25 PM

I just tried Aquabuff 1000. It works ok, no miracles. Definitely need a rotary polisher with wool pad, I tried it with an orbiting Porter Cable and it did absolutely nothing. Two passes with Aquabuff 1000 using a rotary polisher & wool pad and I can still see some chaulk, and it was not bad at all to begin with, very minor chaulk. It is better but far less improved than I expected. I am sure better can be found.

cuda 06-08-2005 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pismo10
I just tried Aquabuff 1000. It works ok, no miracles. Definitely need a rotary polisher with wool pad, I tried it with an orbiting Porter Cable and it did absolutely nothing. Two passes with Aquabuff 1000 using a rotary polisher & wool pad and I can still see some chaulk, and it was not bad at all to begin with, very minor chaulk. It is better but far less improved than I expected. I am sure better can be found.

Did you keep it wet? The secret is to use LOTS of water. At least that's what Deb tells me.

GregP 06-08-2005 08:41 PM

Try Meguiers #67 (?) One Step Compound. I used it on my boat a couple weeks ago and was much happier with it than I was with the Aquabuff.

-Greg

pullmytrigger 06-08-2005 09:31 PM

for something a little more commercially available try Meguires #44 colour restorer or the heavier cut version.......followed up by #45 boat/rv polish .....then Meguires #?? Pure Wax.......its a three step process so you gotta buy three bottles and use a rotary buffer to apply it ....... I had A LEAF get under my cover on the deck of my boat then it rained for like a month.....I had an actual imprint of a brown leaf on the white deck of my boat!!!!!....as plain as day :eek: ......I thought I was into re gelling :mad: .......this 3 step process not only got it out completly but made the whole boat look absolutly beautiful.....a deep "foot thick" shine that makes 15yr old gel look as good as anything around.....I am super impressed with this product and will stick with it and reccomend it to anyone I can......doug

fred 06-08-2005 09:43 PM

I used the Aqua-Buff on my 85 Excalibur Hawk 40 following the instructions...If I remember correctly they said to use a rotary buffer with a wool pad and to spin it 2500rpm's, as Cuda said it requires the water mist....it worked better than any other thing I used including Starbrite color restorer, 3m microfinishing compoud, 3m oxidation remover....and more....the boat shined better than it ever did and the gel seems to be sooo much smoother and a year later it still shines and I did the whole boat with just one $9.99 tub....I love the stuff....Fred