Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Erie western basin boating questions >

Lake Erie western basin boating questions

Notices

Lake Erie western basin boating questions

Old 03-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe what they say about how rough it can get. About 12 yrs ago we were in our old 30 Ft scarab just outside of Cedar Point and I swear the waves were 6 to 8 feet. We'd ride up with the wave like we were going to surf it, and then we'd drop a few feet and the boat would hit hard, this went on for several hours. I will never forget that day, or the the feeling in the pit of my stomach. I felt like I was the fisherman in that commercial where the waves keep crashing over the bow. Give you self plenty of leeway in travel time and hopefully you will get lucky and it will be flat.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And even if the winds are light, by sat afternoon the bay and lake are jumping from all the cruiser wakes. Early morning is the best time to run. I dock at Sandusky Harbor Marine, right around the corner from the city launch ramp and would be glad to show you around or help if you need it. Tom
Old 03-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 1,786 Likes on 703 Posts
Default I've run from the Ontraio side of the lake (45 miles away) and had awesome water--

until you get to the "passage" between the islands and it turns to **** and then you get to the mouth of Sandusky Bay!!
Formual is right.
I do everything in my power to miss that channel durring rush hour.
He is alos correct on the morning deal. We've left in the morning and ran the entire distance across the lake at 45 - 50 MPH and then an hour after you tie up it gets bad.
I'd consider his offer of showing you around too.
That area would be a hoot with a tour guide to follow.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Registered

I've crossed from the mouth of the Detroit River to Put-In-Bay about 20 times. Only once was it smooth enough to relax and cruise. That night a storm went through and we woke to 8-10 footers. Erie is the roughest water I've ever boated.

Once you're out, Put-In-Bay is a riot. Kelly's Island is fun too. Ceder Point has a great marina. One of the nicest I've ever stayed in.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it gets to rough on the Weekend, you can always "hitch" a ride with someone else. Hope to see all you guys up there SOON !!!
Old 03-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to PIB and Kellies Island... had a great time... even though I went over on a .......... blowboat.........
Old 03-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just look for this !!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Lake Erie western basin boating questions-image8.jpg  
Old 03-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. So it looks like I have a 50/50 chance of getting good water. OK, I can live with that. I think I might swap out the BlackHawk for the Bravo though since it sounds like even a calm day can be rough in the wrong places. Looking forward to meeting some Erie OSO folks and checking out your stomping grounds.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered

You could leave your boat docked if it gets to snotty and take the Rocket over to PIB. That way you can get liquored up and don't have to worry about navigating the boat.

http://www.islandrocket.com/destinations.html

Cordell
Old 03-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally posted by Cgarrett
You could leave your boat docked if it gets to snotty and take the Rocket over to PIB.
Cordell

. . . OK . . .now yer just talk'n crazy

all kid'n aside you do have to watch yourself in that bay. i grew up on those waters (actually just of Davis Besse) and they can sneak up on ya. there has been more than once when we had to leave our boats on the island and take the jet back.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Quick Reply: Lake Erie western basin boating questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.