Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fla. Re-con Mission Looking For Work April 3rd - 7th (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73521-fla-re-con-mission-looking-work-april-3rd-7th.html)

gdfatha 03-09-2004 01:29 PM

April 2-4 is the Offshore races at St Cloud (central Florida). That may be a good place to meet people regarding work related situations..

Twin O/B Sonic 03-09-2004 07:38 PM

gdfha

good info, THNANK YOU!

RollWithIt 03-10-2004 10:21 AM

Good luck in your venture. I know exactly what you are going through. I have been doing the same thing and am now relocating to Orlando till something pans out. ChrisK has been nice enough to let me stay there till things pan out. I dont know if I can be of help to you or not once you get in town but call me if it would help. 412-523-3562. Also, not sure how far away it is from Boca, but Shuck 'n Dive Cajun sports shack on A1A in Ft. Lauderdale has an excellent burger.

rchevelle71 03-10-2004 10:31 AM

Originally posted by RollWithIt
Good luck in your venture. I know exactly what you are going through. I have been doing the same thing and am now relocating to Orlando till something pans out. ChrisK has been nice enough to let me stay there till things pan out. I dont know if I can be of help to you or not once you get in town but call me if it would help. 412-523-3562. Also, not sure how far away it is from Boca, but Shuck 'n Dive Cajun sports shack on A1A in Ft. Lauderdale has an excellent burger.
Good info RWI, Damn, I live here, and have never been there???? Lauderdale is not far, Its 30 miles from my house in West Boca, through Lauderdale to Hollywood every morning and afternoon!!!!

Maybe we should get something together, and meet as a group at the races in St. Cloud, I am undecided if I am going yet, but its a possibility.

Rick

Twin O/B Sonic 03-10-2004 10:51 AM

Thanks Guys!

One of things that is interesting to me is how many people are down there that don't do a whole lot of exploring.
I am shopping for G-Map chips for my Garmin 185 to cover the south 1/2 of Fla, the Keys and the Bahamas :eek:
I know the fees suck bad getting to the Bahama's and actually have a link to post when I have more time to tell the Bahamians what we think!
I would love to be in or form some sort of loose nit boating group when we get down there and on our feet.
I plan to explore as much water as I can afford gas for and keep motors together on;)
I have had some unbelievable offers of help in different ways from different people.
I have a buddy in the Ft.Myers area thats letting me pull and leave one boat ther this trip.
I have a friend of a friend in Tarpon Springs offering me work doing custom rigging on high end fish/pleasure boats.
The Mrs. is freaked but I think I've got her now. She had a interview scheduled for here in town today and it was the first one since her office closed that they offered her any real money.
I worked on her last night and she called them this morning and said,"I'm sorry I have to cancel because we are moving to Florida!!"
Who's your daddy :D

rchevelle71 03-10-2004 11:03 AM

Re: Thanks Guys!

Originally posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I plan to explore as much water as I can afford gas for and keep motors together on;)

There is your explanation right there, I would do much more, if I didnt break something almost every time out!!! Also, Fuel is getting up there, put $40 in the truck this morning, and took it from just under 1/4 tank, to just over 3/4, damn it gonna hurt to fill the boat this summer!!!!!

powerqrudy 03-10-2004 11:24 AM

moved down here in mid jan tampa area, great area real state is cheap, job actually pays better, and people do not have that dumb Michigan at thinking (Detroit area) not to mention the economy is much better. Lived in The D for 30 years great town selling there was good but better..you will like it

Twin O/B Sonic 03-10-2004 05:17 PM

We are on a ----

Mission!
The ground hardened enough to pull the little boat out of the barn to prep for it's trip south.
Once it was out, I had a better view of my Sonic sans lower units and power heads:eek:
I need to get busy!
But---- waiting on parts that are coming from Ca., got my new hydraulic jack plates yesterday and just got an e-mail that the one cylinder on the one block that needed bored is done and ready to be picked up.
Now it's up to me!!
Today was 50* but sunny here for the first timne in a while so me and the Mrs. took two lawn chairs and set them facing the sun and had a couple beers.
Oh yeah, all while wearing warm jsckets:p Do you think the neighbors think we're strange???
On affording to be on the water, my Miami budy told me that. He has to budget his boating due to expenses.
But you know what?? I can't freagin wait to have that problem!
powergrudy, Detroit to Tampa?? Wow there's some culture shock!
I like Detroit though. Neat town, a lot to do, and a lot of culture.
Gary

RollWithIt 03-10-2004 07:11 PM

His move was similar to mine, Pittsburgh to, currently, Orlando. The cause is that the economy in Pgh is crashing and I needed to go somewhere where the work is plentiful and the weather is more agreable to boating. Hence Florida. :D

Rick, that sounds like a good idea about the get together. I have already gotten to know a couple members in the Fla area and I know there are a few more moving down there. I think we could take over the state if we wanted.:D :D

rchevelle71 03-11-2004 09:12 AM

Originally posted by RollWithIt

Rick, that sounds like a good idea about the get together. I have already gotten to know a couple members in the Fla area and I know there are a few more moving down there. I think we could take over the state if we wanted.:D :D

I am kinda up in the air between St. Cloud, and Sarasota poker Run that weekend.

The Sarasota guys(OPBA) are great, but I am Kinda steering toward St. Cloud, simply because of the size of my boat(cant run with them boys). Not quite sure if my boat will be back together by then or not(can of worms), but would like to come up anyway. We will know more in the next few weeks.