Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   38' Formula fastech (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73544-38-formula-fastech.html)

RedDog382 03-10-2004 12:45 AM

The Formula felt like it was a tank plowing and slapping through the waves while the Fountain stayed up on top. Big difference in ride. [/B][/QUOTE]

On a poker run on sloppy 5-6 footers through downtown Detroit River last fall, my 382 with 650 H.P. and 5 POB walked past a 42 Fountain and held it's own against a Gladiator, a T/S Top Gun, and a 42 Tiger (all with Zul's). Granted, it takes more ponies to put a big Formula "up on top", but when they get up there, they do run well.

Makes me wonder about your experience:

Who was driving these boats you were on (was it the same person/experience)?
What power was in each?
Where were you riding in each boat?
In terms of ride quality, shouldn't you compare a 42 Fountain to a 419 Formula Fastech with twins (the 382 is 4 feet shorter)?

GLH 03-10-2004 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Spectre Man
IMHO ...while the Fountain stayed up on top. Big difference in ride.
Staying up on top in 5 footers and better is what 50' Cats are made off.
If you have a "V" with 37' of running surface (like a Fountain 42) and your staying up on top your in 3 foot waves not 5 footers. 5 feet and above you'll find a hole and when you hit it I'd want to be in the Formula with it's weight & construction compared to a Fountain.
Of course IMHO.

Spectre Man 03-10-2004 11:18 AM

Originally posted by RedDog382
The Formula felt like it was a tank plowing and slapping through the waves while the Fountain stayed up on top. Big difference in ride.
On a poker run on sloppy 5-6 footers through downtown Detroit River last fall, my 382 with 650 H.P. and 5 POB walked past a 42 Fountain and held it's own against a Gladiator, a T/S Top Gun, and a 42 Tiger (all with Zul's). Granted, it takes more ponies to put a big Formula "up on top", but when they get up there, they do run well.

Makes me wonder about your experience:

Who was driving these boats you were on (was it the same person/experience)?
What power was in each?
Where were you riding in each boat?
In terms of ride quality, shouldn't you compare a 42 Fountain to a 419 Formula Fastech with twins (the 382 is 4 feet shorter)? [/B][/QUOTE]

You know, I think you are right. It was an unfair contest. The Formula had 500HPs and the Fountain (I checked) had 600 plus horsepower. That's 130hp difference. Both had Bravos. I can see that if you put some ponies in the Formula, it would stay on top and ride much better.

THE GOOD STUFF 03-10-2004 10:29 PM

Great point . What would happen if turned each of these boats at a high speed to keep from running over something or someone. Rex

RedDog382 03-10-2004 11:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fever Mike
[B]1- not everyone on a Poker Run is racing! So that boat you THINK you just blew away might be running more conservitive trim @WOT or even running 3/4 throttle.

2- Everyone has a diffent view of what 3 footers and even 5 footers actually are.[/i][B]

1- Sorry Fever Mike, but I didn't say that I "blew him away". We were both running WOT when I passed. With friends on the boat, I believe we were both trimmed conservatively. His 42 Fountain with staggered HP 500's is a very nice boat and with equivalent H.P., he literally would blow me away. The point I was trying to make was in response to earlier comments suggesting the ride quality of a Formula in rough water was inferior to the Fountain.

2- I know what 3 and 5 footers are, too ... that's a nice day on Lake Erie!:D

RedDog382 03-11-2004 12:13 AM

Originally posted by GLH
5 feet and above you'll find a hole and when you hit it I'd want to be in the Formula with it's weight & construction compared to a Fountain.
Of course IMHO.

Thanks GLH,

Clarifies the point I was trying to make.

Downtown42 03-11-2004 05:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedDog382

[i] His 42 Fountain with staggered HP 500's is a very nice boat and with equivalent H.P., he literally would blow me away. The point I was trying to make.
:D
I guess that sums it up.:cool:

Donzilla 03-11-2004 06:55 AM

Just a thought?
The nada on the fountain was most likely a lightning not an ex. this could make some difference!;)