Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   For Welders (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73695-welders.html)

Tantrum 03-10-2004 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by GregP
Can you e-mail the helmet info?

I thought the standard lens was 2 x 4 1/4 ??? With my lens I had to remove the spring, but the lens was retained by a sliding cover from the outside on the goggle, not from the inside like on my rigid helmets, and the thickness just works without the spring to hold the lens and cover securly.

-Greg

Your correct 2x4 1/4, typo.

Do you want pricing?
Here's the catalog info

Sellstrom’s leather hood provides overall head protection and is ideal for tight welding places.
2" x 4 1/4" lift front retainer. Drop down ratchet headgear. Four chrome screen vents. Meets ANSI Z87.1-1989.

GregP 03-10-2004 09:00 AM

Price would be good. Do you have an on-line order site, or phone, or ??

-Greg

Tantrum 03-10-2004 09:43 AM

I dont have a website but can ship it to you UPS today.

$45.00 Tillman 5000 Hood + UPS

Ill edit this post with the cost of the Autoview lens and the whole set-up as a package. I have it on my desk right now and making sure it will work.
I can also check with a distributer down there and let you know if they have it so you can go chech it out if you need to.

JUSTONCE 03-10-2004 09:47 AM

you can get dark lenses for arc & mig that fit the goggle style masks. I like working with these instead of a hood. You get used to the sparks burning you and don't bang your hood on everything under the car.:rolleyes:

GregP 03-10-2004 09:48 AM

PM me a phone. If your lens fits I'll get a hood and see if my lens works.

If the combo works you really should market it that way as I searched quite a bit for something with the auto lens that is small than my "thinline" style helmet.

-Greg

Tantrum 03-10-2004 11:00 AM

Greg
Its on it way.
Let me know what you think when you get it.
Chris

Shah Mat 03-10-2004 12:09 PM

Great idea GregP

I have to do welding a lot in compartments where you cannot see or get your head in. I have always used a mirror. You can pick up one for a car visor for a buck at the discount parts store. It takes some getting used to because your left is your right and front is back but hell, I learned to brush my hair in a mirror right? The splatter gets to them after a few uses.

GregP 03-10-2004 12:14 PM

Chris,

Thanks. I'll let you know when it arrives.

-Greg

mmwalters 03-10-2004 01:13 PM

We call that soft hood a monkey hood. Not hard to see why

Reed Jensen 03-10-2004 02:20 PM

Originally posted by mmwalters
We call that soft hood a monkey hood. Not hard to see why
It looks like the hood that Homer Simpson wears when he is removing the glowing fuel rod.... :p