Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kids and dirtbikes question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73915-kids-dirtbikes-question.html)

CustomRigger101 03-12-2004 07:44 AM

nothing like hitting a jump and stroking the throdle in teh air and landing the the sweet zone..

JohnJan 03-12-2004 07:45 AM

I congratulate you on getting you son started so early. So many kids today are told to strap on a helmet along with their underoos and they don't leave the house without a layer of bubble wrap to keep them safe.

I think kids need things that allow them to experiment, learn their boundaries, get in trouble (a bit) be held responsible for damage to themselves and to others and to property.

Don't just yank the training wheels off, hand him the wrench and talk him though it. Not only will he learn "lefty loosy", he'll learn pride in accomplishment and confidence with his hands. Next comes the spark plug wrench and when he cracks the frame from jumping over the septic tank hand him the torch and teach him to weld.

dhlaw 03-12-2004 07:45 AM

Originally posted by cbdragon
I think your doing fine. My son started at 6. When he gets to the track hold your breath....the father fear factor sets in.......you have to live with it. This is him today he has about 9 tricks including so very funny Z-50 stuff. cb
Craig,
I like your son's form on the bike.... loose and relaxed, foot off the peg, has his eye on the landing spot! He looks fast, what class is he in??

302SR1 03-12-2004 07:49 AM

My Dad got me a QA50 for my 4th birthday. Never more than a couple of bruises. Never did have a training wheel set up, but once I fell a couple times I learned respect for it. Kids are tough they can take spills alot better than we can at our age.

I trhink your doing it right. Good safety equipment and adult supervision. Take off the training wheels and let him at it!

Biggus 03-12-2004 07:54 AM

Great stuff!!!

302, I had a QA50 also. Had it for years and even did my paper route on it :D

mcollinstn 03-12-2004 07:58 AM

hp,

you and I were on the same page. You beat me to it.

dhlaw 03-12-2004 08:00 AM

I think that I am going to put a washer in the exhaust pipe near the head to restrict flow. That oughta slow it down a bit.

cbdragon 03-12-2004 08:14 AM

He runs A or B 125 on his Yamaha 250F. He faster than he looks. Rides like he's not moving passing others who are over working or over trying. I CLOSE MY EYES WHEN IT'S THE 1-2 BATTLE. Maybe I peek a little. Thanks, Craig

robyw1 03-12-2004 08:16 AM

Need to send Troutly over there to take him for a ride in the police car. He will straighten up then.

:D
Roby

Shane 03-12-2004 08:18 AM

RIGHT ON!

Originally posted by d-hlaw
Craig,
I like your son's form on the bike.... loose and relaxed, foot off the peg, has his eye on the landing spot! He looks fast, what class is he in??

I thought the EXACT same thing!:) :eureka: