Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kids and dirtbikes question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73915-kids-dirtbikes-question.html)

mopower 03-12-2004 04:58 PM

:DTop Gun...Loaded Gun , not much difference:D

clearcut3 03-12-2004 05:42 PM

Originally posted by d-hlaw
He took a 5 year old girl down the street for a ride in the Top Gun. The waves are about 4 foot so I hope he or she doesnt fall out.......
LOL:D :D :D

lucky strike 03-12-2004 05:46 PM

He took a 5 year old girl down the street for a ride in the Top Gun. The waves are about 4 foot so I hope he or she doesnt fall out.......
BIG pimpin'.....:D :D

LS JR.

dhlaw 03-12-2004 07:11 PM

Originally posted by mopower
Hate to be a party pooper , but if this kid is seriously injured (or worse), you gotta live with it. You make the decision.
My son's 25 and had his first gas powered vehicle at 6 or 7(a go cart). He managed to rear end my neighbors ElCamino:rolleyes: Luckily unhurt.
Kids have no fear , nor do they anticipate what can happen before they do it.
That's why you have to be the parent. It's not always a nice job but somebodies gotta do it.
You can't protect them from everthing but lets not put a loaded gun in their hand either.
No offense , just my opinion;)

Thank you mopower. I am Mrs. Law and I can't get the image of my little boy rag-dolling through the air and hitting a palm tree. It will haunt me for a long time. I always said, if I had a boy, he would have to born with a Kevlar suit on because my husband would introduce him to all these motorsports. I try to be laid back, but he could have easily broken his neck. Anyway, thanks for being the responsible adult along with me. I am tired of being the only party pooper.

Well, I have to go watch for my boy and make sure he does not do anything stupid with that hootchie five year old girl.

Shane 03-12-2004 07:16 PM

Just so you know Mr. and Mrs. d-hlaw, a popular safety item today for moto-x riders is a neck support like is worn by stock car racers. It is a collar that goes around the neck, between the helmet and the shoulders. You may want to look into it. But do not take teh bike away from him. I know what it is like when you have a BURNING PASSION for motox and you cannot even understand just how devastating it can be.

puder 03-12-2004 07:48 PM

i srted riding quads at liek 7 or 8. by 10 i was launching them ffo stuff. By 14 i had moved up to a 2 stroke blaster and had no prob launching it off 10' kickers topped out in 4th. Amazing i was never seriously injured.

i damn near kille dmyself on a MotoX bike. about 2 years ago. My body isn;t quite as resiliant as it once was. Now if i go down it takes little while to get back up.

he's fine just keep the governor in. OR go to radi shack and buy a few wiring goodies and rig up a wireless kill switch if he starts going buckwild hit the button and kill the engine.

homan 03-12-2004 08:41 PM

Can you change the rear sprocket to a bigger one that will slow it down slightly. Do you want another son, I'm a little big for a 50, A 250 would be fine though Pop.:)

mopower 03-12-2004 10:44 PM

Thank you mopower. I'm Mrs. Law
We all want our kids to be special and often try to make them grow up too soon. I was probably as guilty as any. There's a lot of others on here who seem to like the idea. I just can't get that same image out of my mind. Helmets , neck braces ,knee pads, elbow pads , and the like can only offer so much protection. The abdomen and back are still vulnerable to injury , both life altering and life threatening. I've been through plenty of trips to the emergency room for stitches , x-rays and cast. I'd leave him play with Hotwheels and maybe even little girls:D
Keep him safe , not you sorry:cool: