Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kicker Marine Subwoofers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73924-kicker-marine-subwoofers.html)

Monty 03-12-2004 08:51 AM

Kicker Marine Subwoofers

Anyone using the Kicker Marine Subwoofers model KM10? Any other recommendations for a marine-grade 10" subwoofer? The only thing I don't like about the Kickers is that they are only rated at 125 watts RMS. I was hoping for something around 200-250 watts RMS each

I want to put four 10" subwoofers under the bench seat and was looking at these since they don't require a sealed box and can be mounted free air. I would imagine the bench seat enclosure would act somewhat as a box, but it's obviously not sealed and I don't want to give up the anchor/fender storage space.

FWK 03-12-2004 09:10 AM

Try Polyplanar or the Clarions.

jlsnyder26_Sonic 03-12-2004 09:33 AM

I've been using the Kicker VR10s for years... Theres no reason to use marine grade speakers...

BajaRunner 03-12-2004 09:41 AM

Originally posted by jlsnyder24baja
I've been using the Kicker VR10s for years... Theres no reason to use marine grade speakers...
I dont use marine grade, they get wet. no problems as of yet

RollWithIt 03-12-2004 09:55 AM

Im running two Kicker 12 inch marine speakers. Absolutely no problem with them at all. You can run non marine for a while, but depending on how much moisture you get inside, they will rot out. If you get alot of condensations and morning dew, I would recommend getting the marine grade speakers.

salesmanship 03-12-2004 11:29 AM

We use the KM 10's for our stock sound system. I think they do a good job but my only complaint is that the grills can get a little rusty.

Monty 03-12-2004 12:05 PM

Yeah, I definitely intend to stick to marine grade speakers.

Salesmanship, if you use the KM10's in your stock sound system, what 10" subs do you use in your upgraded systems?

bford1 03-12-2004 05:03 PM

JL 10W6s

They will stomp the Kickers and you don't need to worry about the "marine" grade.

BAJA WILL 03-13-2004 10:01 AM

Monty,

I am guessing that since you are going for 4 of them you like it really loud. So let me tell you first hand, free air subs are nowere near as loud as sealed enclosers. two tens sealed will be louder than four free air. I have done both in the same boat and know this first hand. Currently I am running 2 tens Kicker Comp in sealed boxes under bolsters with a Punch 250 and they JAM.

Good Luck:p

WILL

Havasu Hangin 03-13-2004 12:13 PM

If you're using a sealed enclosure...I would think that moisture would not be a problem (from the back)?

I used (non-marine) 4-10" Infinity Perfects (1,200 watts) which use poly cones and rubber surrounds...same as marine (from the front).

If you're still worried about moisture...an old installer's trick is to Scotch-Guard them.

Most of the subs I've seen go bad are from abuse (kicking them in, overheating, etc.)...which won't change if it says 'marine" on it.