Notices

Question on Big SeaRays....

Old 03-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

burt,

Diesels were slow? Are you kidding?

On a 40' cruiser, diesels will at LEAST match the WOT speed of the biggest stock gas motor choice, while providing an economical "fast cruise" speed of 75% of the WOT speed while the gas variant won't even plane the hull till close to 4000 rpm which puts cruise speed way down in the mid teens.

Unless your friend's mfr allowed a grossly mismatched (small) diesel option for his hull, he must have had something wrong with it.

* displacement hulls excepted from the above discussion, since a displacement hull's speed is pretty much a factor of the beam and length ratio as opposed to how much muscle it's packing *
Old 03-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcollinstn
providing an economical "fast cruise" speed of 75% of the WOT speed
I think diesel cruise rate is 90-95% wide open throttle and generally gas is 75% WOT.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Registered

FunHome,

I just emailed you.............
Old 03-13-2004, 04:43 PM
LPA2106

...if the wife wants a cruiser...this is the one and only one I would consider...for obvious reasons...i never priced one though...has anyone?
Attached Thumbnails Question on Big SeaRays....-48cruiser.jpg  

Old 03-13-2004, 04:45 PM
LPA2106

...it's called a FOUNTAIN...does like 65 and cruise at 40 something is the same as a Sea Ray going 25mph

Old 03-13-2004, 04:48 PM
LPA2106

mpg wise that is

Old 03-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Registered

McCollinstn, I was about to respond but Downtown 42 said exactly my point, the diesel was run at +90 % of max. I think the 40 'dancer is an unbeatable, luxury, condo on water, just boring...
Old 03-13-2004, 10:34 PM
SpeedFreak

i'll stick with my opinion, and it only goes for LOTO, but diesel is not the way to go. A lake like any of the Great Lakes or certainly offshore diesel is the way to go no doubt about it.

Resale value will not be as high when you compare it to initial cost if you go with diesels and again this is only at LOTO. Now if your friend wants to try and sell the boat at another part of the country when he is finished with the boat then so be it. Many of the brokers at the lake make it because they can find large Sea Ray's in other parts of the country for cheap, bring them to the lake, and sell them for a lot more than they paid for them. This is primarily because the gas engines in a 40' Sea Ray on Lake Michigan has very little resale value, but on LOTO it is highly sought after.

This was already mentioned, but if you are not in the main part of LOTO good luck finding diesel. I agree they are slower with gas, less economical, less range, etc..., but in '04 on LOTO my opinion is to save the money and go with gas. What really my opinion would be to do is go elsewhere and find a 40 with gas in it, and have it shipped to the lake. From my experience you could have it shipped and still save money. Check out waht like Skipper Bud's in Chicago would sell an older 40 with gas in it and then check out what Port Arrowhead would sell it for. Most cases the Chicago boat would be cheaper since it has gas, and you could have it shipped and still save money.

There is not enough room at the lake to justify diesels when you can get away with gas. Just my opinion.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally posted by LPA2106
...if the wife wants a cruiser...this is the one and only one I would consider...for obvious reasons...i never priced one though...has anyone?
I think that it`s priced right at 700k.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Registered

speed, where on loto u at

Quick Reply: Question on Big SeaRays....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.