Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Don Aronow had this in a notebook... >

Don Aronow had this in a notebook...

Notices

Don Aronow had this in a notebook...

Old 03-13-2004, 03:17 PM
LPA2106

a little trick Don Aronow did and this is an '87 Tg ...is look at where the K-Plane comes down...he has carved a path or channel to give lots of high pressure water to the planes to work with....a little touch of the tabs and a lot of response..not all manufacturers did this....it is unique to him....go ahead..prove me wrong
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow had this in a notebook...-80-something-cig.jpg  

Old 03-13-2004, 03:23 PM
LPA2106

the more we study all this and considering Aronow didn't have cad/cam he had a mind..ambition and a darn good pencil...the more he amazes me...study HIS Cigs/Apache's Donzis and Formulas not to mnetion Mangums and Aronow's and there has got to be something to be learned that we may have missed like the little thing with the channel for the K-planes...my buddies think that the velocity of directly channeled water to hit the planes versus if the hull was totally a straight "v' is most likely a factor of 2-3x....so the water moveing to the planes is accelerated because of the rounded barrier to get to the otherside of the hull it is concentrated...that was probably a huge factor in control that boat and may be the reason he beat other boats in a race...trust us we feel it didn't happen by mistake...he knew he would be putting a Plne in place and wanted high velocity water to hit them...why? faster planing and faster turns and better control in sloppy waters...

amazing or what?

Old 03-13-2004, 03:25 PM
LPA2106

...Genius is in the details!

Old 03-13-2004, 03:29 PM
LPA2106

ever see what a cigarette would look like if cut in two and a tunnel put in the middle....can't say it's my favorite boat...kinda looks prototypish...but I heard they moved pretty good and where very wide and stable...but even he didn't like it a whole lot....even through designing it i heard...but he did it anyway...who ever has it..and yup this is a cut and paste...i would take it if you are tired of it! It's called a 39-1
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow had this in a notebook...-4800-aronow-catamaran-39-1.jpg  

Old 03-13-2004, 03:34 PM
LPA2106

this is a '73 I was looking at in the want ads...a Magnum...it's 31 YEAS OLD....does it look dated? My thoughts are it could pass for a 2004...his magnums were ahead of their times...most unlike this one were big and heavy and used surface tech to propel them...they were his most advanced designs...but too high priced for most....this boat is going for 40k if interested...
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow had this in a notebook...-dscf9736.jpg  

Old 03-13-2004, 03:37 PM
LPA2106

...i LOVE these kind of boats with a passion....just by looking you can see how great the folks were that made them...

Old 03-13-2004, 03:42 PM
LPA2106

this is a '63 Magnum..they were dominant in the 1960's and 70's.....I think this is Don's own Maltese Magnum...I think he immigrated from Malta....any info on this?
Attached Images  

Old 03-13-2004, 03:44 PM
LPA2106

...that last boat was a 1963....it had huge chines that acted as lateral steps i heard...anyone want to argue that?

Old 03-13-2004, 03:45 PM
LPA2106

showed this to en engineer friedn of mine...the water on the pic of the '63 magnum was flat...look at how the boat rides much like a stepped boat does....on the back pad...amazing eh?

Old 03-13-2004, 03:54 PM
LPA2106

...ok done for the day...that's all we got time for....hope all this was interesting and helps generate excitement as we move into the boating season for us folks in the North anyways! Take care....any questions? Just post a reply...we will keep this ongoing if any further interest develops...otherwise...I learned a lot as did my buddies...I am not a blower guy...I want efficiency to the max...so i did it for selfish reasons....but the go fast guys in this business have my respect from the design to the prop nut!

...and to be fair remember....Mercury helped make a lot of this happen working with manufacturers....

...we were wondering if a high performance duo-prop #6 type design might be possible...it would increase prop slipage....it would ahve to be very hydrodynamic and surface skim....so not what other compnaies had for their cruisers in a dual prop...we think on paper it might be cool to run dual counter-rotating cleaver type props in a twin set up with 1050 Sterlings in an efficient hull design...it's the only suggestion we have to decrease prop slippage..it could give 30% more speed....what do you think guys at Merc?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Don Aronow had this in a notebook...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.