Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT At home exercise (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74064-ot-home-exercise.html)

racinbird 03-14-2004 07:44 AM

OT At home exercise

Ok, Whats everyone doing for at home exercise. Im looking into getting some sort of machine, something I can easily use for say 20-30 minutes a day while watching tv or listening to the radio. Has to be quiet and low impact (I have a bad back) it actually has to work and dosen't cost a fortune. Any ideas?

Wacthing the sunday morning paid broadcasts and commercials and I see so many different work out machines and programs which all say they are the best. I would like to weed out the useless pieces of junk and find a real usefull machine. Thanks

Downtown42 03-14-2004 07:47 AM

Speedo's gonna be alittle tight this year?? :eek:

racinbird 03-14-2004 07:50 AM

Yup, too much off season beer drinking!!

R Addiction 03-14-2004 07:53 AM

I have a total gym. I like how smoothly it works.

Also have a free weight bench......Did I mention that they are both covered with dust!!:p

R Addiction 03-14-2004 07:54 AM

I'm working on the basement.....what did you guys think!!;)

jlsnyder26_Sonic 03-14-2004 08:31 AM

Almost all home gym machines soon become a clothes rack in about 4-6 months. I guarantee you in six months you won’t even want to look at it. If you are really serious, get a gym membership. When you have monthly dues, you are more than likely to stick with it. Also, with a home machine your body will become acclimated to it quickly and you will not see the results that you are looking for. Working different body parts using multiple machines at least 3 to 5 times a week is the only way to see true results. I have been training for 14 years now and I have purchased two machines in that time that did nothing to advance my motivation to train.

If you don’t take my advice, at least find a Bow Flex or something on that level possibly on E-bay or your local classifieds. Don’t blow a bunch of money on something new, and send it to me when you find out I was right. LOL

Good luck with whatever you decide, but just remember it’s a lifestyle, not just a goal for the holiday gluttony.

Frequency 03-14-2004 09:06 AM

I went with the Personal Trainer Home Gym (PTHG). I bought it and a Bowflex at the same time, evaluated them both, and sent back the one that came in second.

I have to agree with jlsnyder24baja's comments about the benefits of a gym membership, I just don't have the time for that commitment. With the PTHG I have seen good increases in strength. It works for me.

I assume, however, that you are more interested in cardio exercise as it would be impossible to strength train and watch TV at the same time. I use the Schwinn Airdyne, an air resistance stationary cycle that utilizes your arms along with your legs. You will get the benefit of toning your upper and lower body along with cardiovacular improvements. It is relatively quiet, but to watch TV you will need wireless heatphones. Just be sure to keep up your intensity level! :)