New Apache under construction !!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 09:25 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fastest Lap?

Originally posted by ApachePete
Is there a trophy for that?

If you have the records, take a look at the finish order, young fella. I believe that only one of us finished in the money on that very rough day!

Hey! Allez Vite is for sale in Miami right now. It's got Zul 705 blower motors that run on pump gas (now THATS a big improvement) and transmissions (wimpy), and supposedly still runs 100. In the pictures, it looks brand new.

I may have to buy it back and teach you where you are in the pecking-order . . . again.
Last I heard Pete was that it was running right at 106 which I believe qualifies it for the fastest 41 out there at this time....could be wrong but I am pretty sure.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, Petes was the fastest. 106 With 6's, pre dry sump. That day in Grandhaven was super rough, best lap in open was 70mph ave.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ApacheCarl
Yep, Petes was the fastest. 106 With 6's, pre dry sump. That day in Grandhaven was super rough, best lap in open was 70mph ave.

Carl,

Last time I talked with Jon Lorenson (sp?) he said it was still running 106 and had tremendous amounts of torque. It has been one of my favorites for along time.

Sean
Old 03-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Apache Pete

Did Tom Earhart build any of the engine's for
Allez Vite?

If so what kinda power HP?
And how did they run?

Cougarman
Old 03-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CougarMan

Tom rebuilt both my C&G's (572-850's), and my Merc 1000's (540-1050's) when I switched. He also built motors for my 427 Cobra.

Were as reliable and powerful as when the original builders did them, but he was quite a bit less expense, as well as being close to Saugatuck.

I remember a day in Grand Haven (probably before one of the butt kickings we gave Carl in WarHawk), when Randy Garcia (C&G) and Tom worked together adjusting the mixture on our 4 big carbs. They had very different approaches, and neither thought the other knew what he was doing. As I recall, Tom got them to idle with zero blower surge, which was a big improvement over the way I got them.

Tom is 100% competent, 100% honest, 100% fair, and a great guy to boot.

So is Randy.

I'm pleased to hear that Allez Vite is running 106 on regular gas. The best we ever got was 104 at Lake X on racing gas, on a very cold morning. I wonder what she'd do with dry-sumps? Or maybe some nice Sterling 1300's!

Last edited by ApachePete; 03-17-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Tom Earhart

Ever talk to Tom any more?
He's still building all kinds of big power?

I don't a whole lot maybe once a year but it's
always very interesting to talk with him.

Last time I talked with him he was running
an Eliminater with a single super tall deck.
11. ???" deck height.

Anyway's depending on the fuel, any where
from 1,500 to 2,000 hp. with twin turbo's.

Cougarman
Old 03-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I give up Pete !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You win.

First I had a 38 Top Gun and Pete kicked my butt with his first Apache, a pleasure 41.

We then got a Race Apache 41 with 700's and I thought Petes goose was cooked. But nooooooooooo. Pete got a race Apache 41 with some big C&G's and I got my ass kicked again.

But my futile efforts to crush my nemisis were not over yet...........

The next year we got some big Fuel Injected motors that broke down alot. But, before they broke down Pete kicked our ass once again(or was it twice, its hard to remember when your getting your ass kicked so much).

Someday I will get my revenge......................

Now I know what Howard Dean feels like.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default CougarMan

I haven't talked to Tom in years. I have seen him post here a couple of times.

He's always been high on turbos, and was getting BIG power even 15 years ago. In fact, he always tried to talk me into letting him build me some. (He also wanted to "improve" my Porsche 930.)

I wonder what would have happened it I had gone that route instead of switching to Merc? For sure, we wouldn't have blown-up in Coco Beach in '92, because we wouldn't have had Lake X do the rigging that caused us come close to buying the ranch.

Oh well. At that time, Gentry was about the only one with turbos, and he had a lot of reliability problems, which made me warry.

Even today I don't see the record setters using turbos.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Turbo's

You don't see many of them, often wonder if it's
because of the past kinda like diesel's everybody
was skeered of them for years.

I believe Tom is one of the very Few that
have them figured out though.

Don't know if he still works for Diesel Tech or not
yet. Last I knew he was an engineer for them.
And bringing there work home with him for dyno
testing.

Cougarman
Old 03-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default CARL!

Stop!

You don't have to wear that hair shirt on my account.

The only reason I got the race boat was because I saw yours at the Miami Boat Show in '88. Best Apache paint I'd ever seen, and the 6-pack cockpit was awsome. (And I was sick of breaking my pleasure version in the rough.)

Neither one of intended to use them as race boats, but when the circuit (SBI) came to town, it was too much to resist. (Remember the crowds in '89, when Chuck Norris and Don Johnson were racing? And the fans were asking US for autographs too, because they thought we had too be celebs, too. And we BOTH got our butts kicked in Sportmans "D" by Mandy Fernandes in a 38 Cig, who had even bigger cheater motors than we had.)

So when the circuit came back again to Grand Haven in '90, we both thought it would be fun to move up to Open Class and play with the big boys.

I never thought I would race Open Class more than once, but when we both discovered that our Apache 41's could run with just about anybody (including the Skaters and CUV cats), and when we got a lot of coverage on ESPN (in part, thanks to T2x, who I think was curious about these two midwest boys competing against the Florida big dogs and holding our own), I was hooked.

So I don't think that either one of us kicked the other, but rather that APACHE 41's kicked virtually everyone else!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited by ApachePete; 03-22-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: New Apache under construction !!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.