Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ft. Myers Race cancelled? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74213-ft-myers-race-cancelled.html)

THEJOKER 03-17-2004 02:31 PM

OSS is like the pot calling the kettle black! The organizers were originally out to boycott Alweiss. Now they tell their group where to race and ditch the smaller boats! A bunch of rich guy's with egos wearing bowling shirts - now there's a sport! BH

T2x 03-17-2004 02:44 PM

Re: That sucks.

Originally posted by Gordo
Before anyone makes any comments about SBI having a "solid" schedule, let's all accept that the sport of offshore has suffered a drastic setback since the boycott that has effected ALL of us. This is just one example. I feel bad for the guys in SBI, but this just shows how fragile the sport has become, and schedules changes can happen to anyone.
Hi Gordo:

Welcome to Earth.......... In the past few years .....I saw this coming as sure as I saw income taxes and death....The boycott was a symptom......not the disease. The racers in OSS all pay their own way........ and will listen to reason..... the two items most absent in recent years......

Before we crucify them, or SBI, or anyone......remember that blindly following any course is unacceptable.... and ends up with what we are watching.

Eventually, this will pass as well....... with the lone solution being a single sanctioning body......and the only way to accomplish that is for everyone to let go of any existing rah rah loyalties....and demand as one voice.....a single representational body. Until then all of you supporters of "your" particular group....are doomed to repeat history.

T2x........watching a story repeat itself since 1980

T2x 03-17-2004 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
There's only one thing that keeps me even slightly interested in Offshore. Steve Davids involvment with the APBA.
Amen....... Is anybody else listening? Because one man cannot right a capsized vessel......... even if he is the best man for the job........

He'll need a groundswell..... and not from the same old hacks.....or consisting of the same old B.S.

T2x

T2x 03-17-2004 02:54 PM

Originally posted by ScottB
Also, isn't is amazing that the only torch that OSS carries is the one against Michael Allweiss, and that all the fumes in their fire are tied to him? I mean all these guys gave OSS a fair chance, and yet because Bob Bull shares the same letters (APBA) as Michael did, they try to hang them out to dry... using this LLC flag which is long gone, dead and buried.
No, actually it's only been about three months....and as I recall...... Michael retired ...and then came back...and then retired...... leading to an understandable skepticism about the whole process.

Please allow the rest of us a proper mourning period. Perhaps after some credibility is restored to that APBA flag....( read Steve David) and perhaps after the initials LLC are finally removed from the APBA's testes..... then a rapprochement can be engineered with even the rebellious OSS......

One never knows....... there are more things between Heaven and Earth , Horatio, .............

T2x....waxing Shakespearian

Shane 03-17-2004 02:56 PM

Re: Re: That sucks.

Originally posted by T2x
In the past few years .....I saw this coming as sure as I saw income taxes and death....The boycott was a symptom......not the disease. The racers in OSS all pay their own way........ and will listen to reason..... the two items most absent in recent years......

Before we crucify them, or SBI, or anyone......remember that blindly following any course is unacceptable.... and ends up with what we are watching.

Eventually, this will pass as well....... with the lone solution being a single sanctioning body......and the only way to accomplish that is for everyone to let go of any existing rah rah loyalties....and demand as one voice.....a single representational body. Until then all of you supporters of "your" particular group....are doomed to repeat history.

T2x........watching a story repeat itself since 1980

EXACTLY! Same thing I said all last summer and got ridiculed for it! Thanks T2x, hope to see you soon.

T2x 03-17-2004 02:57 PM

Originally posted by THEJOKER
The organizers were originally out to boycott Alweiss. BH
Heck of a LLegacy....eh Joker?

T2x

ScottB 03-17-2004 02:58 PM

T2X, Fair enough

T2x 03-17-2004 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
Reminds me of when Don Johnson, Chuck Norris, and others tried it with the "OPT" years ago. I think that almost lasted one year. Memory kind of fuzzy here. We will see what happens. I'll be surprised if OSS flies.
Lots of "fuzzy memories" on this board....leading to a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

OPT (originally organized with John Carbonell as president) lasted for 3-4 years...and became SBR....which lasted for 3-4 years and became.....SBI.... surprise.....surprise.

If you're gonna wade into a debate about the history of this sport....it's best to know something about the history of the sport.

Because it repeats itself like a trusty Timex.

T2x

T2x 03-17-2004 03:04 PM

T2X, Fair enough
Yeah...I thought so too.

T2x;)

T2x 03-17-2004 03:13 PM

RLW, Those of us who still support APBA and race the 'lower class' boats are suffering as well and I think its unfair for you to boycott all of offshore. You have every right to feel the way you do considering the past year but don't give up on us yet
On this I concur...... You cannot have marquis classes without developmental classes as well......

In the past the biggest issue was the relentless demanding of equal TV time by the developmental class participants....which led to inexplicable programming and no fan base creation through the now wasted television budgets.

I have always believed that there should be racing for all classes ....but TV for only a very few. Sponsors will pay for a coherent TV package that the average couch potato can understand, not a kaleidoscope of classes interspersed with an obligatory travelogue showcasing the wonderful attributes of some gulf coast real estate development nightmare.

But what do I know...I'm obsolete....and for today anyway...relentless.

T2x