Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ft. Myers Race cancelled? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74213-ft-myers-race-cancelled.html)

ScottB 03-17-2004 07:45 PM

I, and many others I have spoken to, have no interest in racing under the OSS banner or rules.
Ron, It is real easy not to like an Orginization when they are trying to destroy an organization you support.
I know quite a few fellow racers who feel the same way but don't come on OSO or just don't care about what they do.

And yes DPT, they are the monster

Phantom1 03-17-2004 08:04 PM

Originally posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
The Leadership in OSS is STRONG and I RESPECT those in charge. It is unfortunate that the public has made them into a BIG MONSTER. Are they really?????
Just curious.....and no disrespect intended. How many of the OSS leaders (directors) have you actually met, spent time with, and gotten to know?

bojoe2 03-17-2004 08:27 PM

thank you t2 sounds great cant we all be friends and play together (for the fans)

DPT MOTORSPORTS 03-17-2004 08:30 PM

Some I have spent time with in meetings for the SOB class. I have worked with some leader's Race Teams. Some have graciously offered there Trailer, Tools and assistance to Myself and the Teams I was working with those particular weekends. Some I have shared phone calls about our friends who needed prayers at the time. I have also shared drinks, dinner and laughs with a few of these same people and have enjoyed there company very much. They have also shared direct laughter at me. LOL!!! Remember one thing, as humans we all make mistakes, it is just in our nature. No one is perfect and by far is it a perfect world. Negativity is what has always hampered the sport. Think positively about certain issues and things may work out better in the end for all of us.

I SUPPORT THE SPORT OF OFFSHORE POWERBOAT RACING!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Formula Outlaw 03-17-2004 09:01 PM

Originally posted by T2x
Lots of "fuzzy memories" on this board....leading to a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

OPT (originally organized with John Carbonell as president) lasted for 3-4 years...and became SBR....which lasted for 3-4 years and became.....SBI.... surprise.....surprise.

If you're gonna wade into a debate about the history of this sport....it's best to know something about the history of the sport.

Because it repeats itself like a trusty Timex.

T2x

I had no idea, nor was it my intention, that I was "wading" into a debate about the history of this sport. I don't feel as though I am nearly enough qualified to do that. I have only been involved in offshore boating since 1993. I just look at what appears to be happening now.

I give a hell of a lot of time and effort into helping produce both an SBI race and an APBA race each summer. I don't take sides. I support all offshore racing as I think we all should.

All I did was offer an opinion, prefaced with the fact that I was NOT entirely knowledgable on the subject. My opinion remains that I believe OSS has hurt the overall sport of offshore racing, and it's fans. That is what I see, read, and hear as what is happening presently. I rather doubt my limited knowledge in "offshore racing 101" is going to present a danger to anyone or anything. Particularly with the effort I make to help offshore racing.

That being said, I agree with your assessments.

Ron P 03-17-2004 09:17 PM

Scott, The damage has been done and it won't be fixed overnight. We can only hope for the leaders of each group to take baby steps to fix the damage.

The OSS group did what they felt they had to do at the time. Remember how pissed off Britain was when America declared its Independence. Different scale, similar circumstances.

Time heals wounds...why hold a grudge...it doesn't help.

ScottB 03-17-2004 09:25 PM

Simple Ron,The damage is still being done, they are calling APBA sites and badmouthing APBA. I won't hold a grudge when the war is over and they stop the BS.
It wouldn't surprise one bit if the end up racing Ft Meyers.
Trust me Ron, I am far from alone in feeling this way

GrinandBarrett 03-17-2004 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Ron P
Since we all have friends in each of the race organizations, can't we just embrace offshore racing as a whole rather than being so damn loyal to only one group???

How can I like OPA and not like OSS or APBA or SBI?? It just doesn't make sense.

I only ask for one thing out of 2004, a unified World Championship in Key West. So far OSS and OPA have agreed to run with SBI. In the name of putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, can't APBA do what ever needs to be done to race during the same week in Key West? I personally think this would be the biggest step in the right direction.

This doesn't need to be a love fest, it just CAN'T be a hate fest.

With all due respect, do we know that APBA hasn't been trying to do just that. It seems to me that the sins of past owners are going to haunt BB & JP for at least this year. I do not see why APBA has to make all the consessions based solely on the pryer ownerships mismanagement. If all resourses were pooled instead of makeing one group give up everything just to make this happen, it would be one hell of an event.

Matt

Fast Shafts 03-17-2004 11:30 PM

Perhaps the first "baby step" might be to get all race organizations to agree on the same "P" class rules-before the season starts. That would allow 1/2 the racing fleet to follow the same rules in all clubs/organizations. This would make it easier on the teams that would like to run multiple venues/clubs-and not have to worry about "top speed" vs. "average lap speed". On another thread, this idea seemed to be endorsed by the racers from all clubs. Sometimes the simple ideas are overlooked. There is alot of common denominators with the all club's "P classes", so why not start here? With SBI,OPA, and OSS heading to KeyWest in November, now would be the time to implement this, not in November.

Formula Outlaw 03-18-2004 06:33 AM

Originally posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
I think that if everyone can agree that unity is what everyone wants then it can happen. Just remember if unity does occur that not everyone will get what everyone wants. Just a unified sport in which this type of Powerboat Racing greatly needs for its survival.

It's called "compromise". Most of life is a compromise of one type or another.