Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   CDL Drivers License (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74280-cdl-drivers-license.html)

AugiePensa 03-17-2004 08:28 AM

Innthered, "IF" you are using the truck and trailer as a Company owned and operated vehicle and the combo is more than 25,999 than yes you would need a CDL. Even if you have air breaks and your under 26,000 lbs. you do not need a CDL(In Jersey Anyway). If you are going "Interstate" you would also need a IFTA Decale as well as REG. those Vehicles in EVERY state you plan to run thru. All this is ONLY if you Reg. the Vehicles with COMM."APPORTIONED" Plates. I've switched 1/2 my fleet of trucks (We now have 9 Automatics) to automatics (with air brakes) just to avoid new drivers having to get a CDL's, plus 90% of them couldn't drive a stick if I put a gun to their heads. Next time we'll get into "LOG BOOKS" when you travel interstate(the 100 mile rule) amount of hours you can work and/or drive in a 24 day, ect., ect., ect. Big Brother is always watching! Hope this helps, Augie.......PM me you name and address and I will send you a card the DOT sent us to carry in every truck because the police don't even know all the laws plus the new ones!

ChrisK 03-17-2004 08:56 AM

I know in the state of FL anyway that you can not have a "regular" license.. you do have to upgradeit a bit. This is just due to the fact that the GVW on your registration is above 8000 lbs. A friend of mine just got a ticket for this because he drives a F350 as well... I will see if i can pull up the regs here in FL...

ChrisK 03-17-2004 09:03 AM

Commercial driver licences(CDL)

CLASS A: Any Tractor/Trailer combination that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 LBS.

CLASS B: Any single motor vehicle that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle of 10,000 LBS. or less.

CLASS C: Any motor vehicle that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of less than 26,001 LBS. when endorsements "H" or "P" would be required on the driver license OR any combination of motor vehicles where the towing vehicle is less than 26,001 LBS. GVWR and the towed vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 LBS. or less, but together they weigh 26,001 LBS. or more.

non commercial driver licences

CLASS D: Any truck or truck tractor that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 8,000 LBS or more but less than than 26,001 LBS. or is more than 80 inches wide.

A resident who holds a valid Florida chauffeur license may continue to operate vehicles for which a CLASS D driver license is required until the chauffeur license expires. This includes farmers and emergency vehicle operators who are exempt.

CLASS E: Motor vehicles less than 8,000 LBS.

A resident who holds a valid Florida operator license may continue to operate vehicles for which a CLASS E driver license is required, until the operator license expires.

If you have a class E license, and get caught driving a truck registered over 8000lbs, then you can get a ticket for it. This would be just about any 1 ton or 3/4 ton HD..... I am lucky that by accident i registered mine as 7999lbs... this is even if it is only a daily driver here. As I stated before a friend of mine has a F350 that he has lifted to the sky and could not put anything in the bed if he tried other than small lighrt things and he even got a ticket...

The Menace 03-17-2004 09:44 AM

State of OHIO

A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) is Required if you drive ANY of the following commercial vehicles for hire ANY place in the United States...

A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.

A trailer with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.

A vehicle designed to carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver).

A vehicle of ANY size or type which requires hazardous materials placards.

To Be Eligible For A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) you must ...

Take and pass the mandatory Ohio CDL license examinations that apply to you.

Be 21 years old (18 years old if ALL of your driving is within Ohio and you do not transport hazardous materials or drive double or triple trailer rigs).

Possess a valid medical certificate in accordance with MCSR regs. 49 CFR 391.41 - 391.49.

Certify that you do not hold a driver license from more than one state and certify that your driver license is not currently suspended, revoked, or canceled in ANY state, nor subject to any of these actions.

Surrender your current driver license.

Provide proof of your identification.

Pay testing and licensing fees.

Training or apprenticeship requirements...At this time, there are none. This may soon change.

To Obtain Your License... you must first pass the Ohio CDL (Commercial Drivers License) Examinations. Our CDL study course is the very best available. Completing the "Ohio Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Course" guarantees a passing score on the Ohio Commercial Drivers License (CDL) examination.