?? for those who store your boat in the gargage

Notices

?? for those who store your boat in the gargage

Old 03-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default ?? for those who store your boat in the gargage

I'm building an addition + garage this spring and need to know what size garage doors you have for those of you who store your boat in your garage. I sold my boat last summer so I don't have a reference point. I'll probably be into a 33 PP, 30 Mystique, 32 Fountain, 31 Sonic size ranges. I don't want doors that are too big and goofy looking, but I don't want to run into the issue of being too small either....thanks in advance.

Last edited by Indy; 03-17-2004 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts

It depends on the boat and the trailer mfg.....I had a 1984 30' ScarabII on a 1990 Eagle trailer.....and it fit with about 6" to spare under an 8' door. I parked next to another Scarab that was the same model but a year newer sitting on what i remember was a vanguard trailer and it was like a foot taller then mine.......so this isnt realy gonna help ya unless you know what combo your looking at...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Door's

Hight is whatever you desire, But I would recomend
12' wide.

Most boats fit through a 10' but you have no room
to jocky your vehicle or trailer. Needs to be right
everytime.

12' seems to be the magic number for width
atleast for me.

Cougarman
Old 03-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wally is right- depends on the trailer, wheel size on the trailer, boat style, windshield vs. fairing etc..... My Formula 242LS sat quite a bit taller on the trailer than the 28' AT I have now.
I have a 30x40 free-span steel building, 12' eave height.
I went with a 14' wide door, and have no problem.
A 'stick-built' building will be a different story altogether because of the roof trusses, so make sure you have the eave height to start with.
I have never talked to anyone who said they built their building too big..........
Jim
Old 03-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replys so far. This is to be an attached garage with a room over the top and a small shop off to the side. I can't go too big because it'll throw the proportions out of wack. I'd love to build a big 'ol barn, but as it stands, I'll have to squeeze the boat in there. I don't know the boat or trailer make yet becuase I haven't started shopping yet. Here is a sketch so you all get an idea of what I'm looking into. Keep the replys coming...
Attached Thumbnails ?? for those who store your boat in the gargage-fisher-front.jpg  
Old 03-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Registered

8' door ht min. Wally is right at that you will have 6" clearance. May want to increase some if it is applicable to your setting. And build as big as you can cause you'll always end up wanting more.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Registered

A 8 foot high door by 10 feet wide will work with most of these boat but bigger is always better. My garage doors are 10 feet tall and 10 feet wide and i have no problems with a 31 ss Sonic on a aluminum trailer triple axle with 14 inch wheels

Jim

I will try to attach some pics if boat every leaves garage due to this never ending winter
Old 03-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Registered

I have a 32 Fountain and my door is 9 feet tall and 14 feet wide. I am planning on up grading to a 38 Fountain and that boat is 8 feet 3 inches tall so the 9 feet is working but I wish I had 10 feet of height.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Miami

The boats you have described, on a good bunk trailer, will require a ten ft high openning. width can easily be accomodated by using a single, double garage door. This will allow you to manuver the boat in and then place the car in.

Ten ft high doors will not look ' goofy ' if you make the roof line and portion above garage door in proportion.

You can place the shop off the rear of the garage. This allows for easier access to any item stored in garage without haviong to walk around boat and / or car. Make sure to anticipate the length of the garage with the tongue of trailer and outdrives in the up position. guessing around 40'. You can make the entire building that length and make the portion behind the car side your shop.

If you email me an image of the existing house, I can make you a rough set of elevations. ( time permitting )

Designer / General Contractor

Old 03-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Thanks for the offer Miami, but I have the architect coming over in a few minutes. I have some other challenges like a well and sight lines that complicate the matter.

Quick Reply: ?? for those who store your boat in the gargage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.