Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who's had the most engine hours in a performance application? >

Who's had the most engine hours in a performance application?

Notices

Who's had the most engine hours in a performance application?

Old 03-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blew a 502 mag up with 100 hrs on it, thanks to the well designed mercury exhaust system............
Old 03-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

so lets take it one step further...what makes a motor live?my issues have been valve spring related and moisture in the oil taking out the bearings never a catostrophic part failure like a big picture window in the block.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

It's all about regular oil changes....and a little bit of luck!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Registered

I would say: (starting with the most important)

1. valve springs
2. oil & system condition
3. rod bearings
4. cooling system condition
5. fuel delivery and quality

Of course when one has a problem a domino effect can occur. Now if the marine industry can get past the 60s and start using OHC systems then you can all but eliminate the spring problem. I wonder? Who will give up on push rods first? The Marine industry or NASCAR?

Roby

Last edited by robyw1; 03-19-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:13 AM
DEVIL MAN

DMan here!!!!! Sorry I have been missing in action...still recovering from injuries sufferred in a nasty fight with the Phantom!!!!

OK...here is the honest story. I had a 91 38 Fountain Fever with stock 425's and TRS drives...bought it new....all red...a real beauty. In February of 94, I bought a pair of supercharged engines from Paul Pfaff...they hit the dyno at 800 horses...420 blowers with Holley 750's. Kept the TRS drives on it and blew three drives in the first three weeks out.

OK...end of that experiment....slapped a pair of #3 drives on Feverish....went from 71 miles per hour to 92 miles per hour....the drives were too deep but they were set as high as they possibly could go.

I ran the snot out of that boat...every weekend in the ocean...I entered six Pacific Offshore Races that year in the Outlaw Class and won three races. I did 10 practice runs and the Catalina Ski Race in August...that entails running the boat at close to full throttle with the drives all the way in and the tabs buried...for an hour straight!!! Think about that one boys....talk about a load.

I then came back and did the identical thing in 95...including the six offshore races and the ski race and all the practice runs. I then quit the racing scene and continued with the ski races. After four years and 650 hours, I lost a crank on one motor. Jesus, was I pissed off. I just thought those mothers would never let go. It was amazing...the only thing I ever did was chance the oil and the spark plugs twice a year....the engines ran flawless. I would see Paul Pfall and Gordon Jennings and every time they asked how their engines were and I would just tell them the number of hours and the torture I was putting them through....they just shook their head.

Naturally, I have been a Pfaff guy ever since and run a pair of 1,000's in my Cigarette Top Gun....pretty much the same results. I go an entire year with out changing the plugs and that thing does not skip a beat.... I just change the oil a lot...every 20 hours or so.

So, if you guys are looking for dependability, give the boys at Pfaff a call!!!

DMan....and the Dis for....never any Detonation!!!!!

Old 03-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Roby dont you think that the marine industry uses what the big three feed's it? when GM builds an ohc v8 Merc will use it...
Old 03-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DEVIL MAN
[B]DMan here!!!!! Sorry I have been missing in action...still recovering from injuries sufferred in a nasty fight with the Phantom!!!!

Did you get the best of him.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Dman YOU THE MAN!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally posted by dyno
Roby dont you think that the marine industry uses what the big three feed's it? when GM builds an ohc v8 Merc will use it...
I see your point but what really gets me is that Chevrolet/Merc Marine had a good start with the ZR-1 and abandoned it. WHY? I know it had its problems but don't you think those problems could have been rectified in the 12 years since its introduction? GM says no, abandon the project and return to the push rod engines. I just don't get it. That LT-5 (or ZR-1) had more potential than any engine that GM ahh err MerCruiser ever produced. This brings me to my next question. Why haven't the marine industries considered other manufactures that do use OHC V8? I believe that Merc was using the Toyota 8 but are they still or am I mistaken about it being produced?

I can't believe that Mercury built the LT-5 engine and at the very least didn't utilize it in marine applications. You have so much more potential with a block like that. No cam to get in the way of increased long stroke cranks and beefy rods, no pushrods to bend, no rockers needed to change the direction and distance of the force put on the valve train (a big reason for failure due to the laws of physics) No need to use a rocker ratio to increase cam lift because there is no room for that amount of cam lift in the bore, less stress on an OHC cam because only half the springs means less valve timing error for the last cylinders, cut that reduced stress in half if you have a DOHC, you can be so much more creative with the intake ports because you don't have to squeeze them between the valve train banks. I can go on but what do I know? I’m sure the engineers think it is best to ask a puny little spring to return that heavy rocker that must use leverage and speed (laws of physics say you can’t have both) to return that push rod and lifter back to the surface of the cam as much 50 times per second. Noooo, I can’t see any potential problems there..

Roby
Old 03-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally posted by dyno
Don't you mean , when GM builds a "BIG" OHC engine Merc will use it.
There's lots of OHC and DOHC engines but no cubic inches and gobs of torque

Quick Reply: Who's had the most engine hours in a performance application?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.