Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   (ot) Cars in flight (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74568-ot-cars-flight.html)

JUSTONCE 03-22-2004 10:14 AM

there are some tracks where I live that we used to always jump, the fastest I've ever hit them was about 50mph, but they were steep enough that you could get air at 25mph. my buddy hit them at 75 in his mom's taurus and landed bumper first,blew the air bags and all. Pretty funny chit.

Downtown42 03-22-2004 10:17 AM

I wonder if blow- boaters have good stories jumpin their 4 door Volvo's while smoking pipe and wearing funny hats :fish:

Sydwayz 03-22-2004 10:30 AM

We had a set of tracks near my house when I grew up.
My Dad always had lease cars for business, and about a week before he was to turn them in, I would weasel them out of him for a few test flights, just to get trajectory right for the next year. :D :D (He still does not know this.) I ripped the fog lights off of my Monte Carlo going a little too fast once too.

Also had a guy with a 1980 Poop Brown GMC Pickup in HS. One night, with 3 of us 6'2" and over in the cab of the truck, and 4 guys in the bed; we hit the same tracks. All three of us in the cab hit the roof with our heads, and put three little 'speed bubbles' in the roof of the cab, no joke. When we landed, the bed came ENTIRELY off the frame of the truck, and landed on the ground behind us, sliding and sparking at about 40 mph to a stop. All 4 guys stayed in the bed, thankfully. Spare tire landed on one guys leg, and he got a bit bruised. We lifted the bed back on to the truck, drove it home slowly, (since it was loose, and all the light harnesses were ripped out.) Guy that owned the truck brought it into the welding shop at the HS next day, and they welded the bed back solid to the frame. About a week later, he ejected most of the crankshaft of the old GM350 out the bottom of the oil pan. I wonder if our flight was a contributing factor?

Downtown42 03-22-2004 10:40 AM

:D :D :D

bford1 03-22-2004 10:42 AM

Wow, it's amazing what we try when we're young and bulletproof isn't it?

JUSTONCE 03-22-2004 10:45 AM

isn't amazing we survived after all the stupid **** we did when we where younger. Brian I know exactly the bubble dents your talking about in the roof. You always seem to get more air than the car:D

JUSTONCE 03-22-2004 10:46 AM

Originally posted by bford1
Wow, it's amazing what we try when we're young and bulletproof isn't it?
you beat me to that post:D :D

Sydwayz 03-22-2004 11:01 AM

LOL just remembered, same night in the truck, just the three of us in the cab. They had just picked me up in my subdivision, one one of us dropped a cassette tape on the floor. All three of us bend down to find the tape, and we drove right though the neighbors shrub line. I came home a few hours later, to my parents complaining that the cable TV had gone out. Seems we took out the distribution box feeding the whole subdivision.

"No Dad, have no idea what happened to their yard."

:D :D

We had to paint the bumper on that truck every weekend to get rid of evidence, i.e. street signs posts we would bend down to the ground so we could steal the signs easier at gound level; mailboxes, etc.

bford1 03-22-2004 11:28 AM

LOL, ahhh youth.

ChrisK 03-22-2004 12:13 PM

We had a few spots like that is upstate NY where I grew up... RR tracks where always the best spots for it. But the hills that flattened out for the cross road was always a cool spot.

Here in Orlando we have a spot in the middle of downtown!.. on Rt50 where it crosses mills ave, there is a large dip on either side of the cross road... so its a dip, bump, dip, situation... going roughly 45+mph you can get air... I did it in my old dodge ram one day, and I hit the roof pretty hard.. loved it...