Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Life Jackets and where to buy tem (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74607-life-jackets-where-buy-tem.html)

Spectre Man 03-22-2004 08:03 AM

Ben - Please post some pictures of the SRP jackets I would want to use for everyday use, not just races. It is just my self and my wife cruising around in our 36' Spectre. We need something highly visible, cool, comfortable and obviously useful in the event of a mishap.

BK 03-22-2004 10:21 AM

my 2c

I would not buy anything that requires 'pulling a tab' if you are in an open boat. During a power boat crash, you are being flung so violently, you'll never have the opportunity to pull a tab, much less find it.

If you get bumped on the head while falling overboard, and knocked loopy for a few seconds, the pull tab jacket will be worthless.

If the boat is going to be running 75 plus, you should definitely think about getting a jacket with "impact" material. It should also have leg straps to keep the jacket from pulling over your head, and material strength should be 100mph rated.

I've been in three crashes, and believe me, they happen too fast to be able to mess with tabs. I've also been knocked into the water and momentarialy stunned - twice - so I'd never give up my race jacket which is designed to keep my head turned up and afloat. When your arms or legs are injured, you can't roll yourself over too well. And when you are knocked out or have the wind knocked out of you, it's impossible.

Don't worry about Coast Guard ratings. Just keep some $10.00 pfds on board, and you'll be in compliance with the CG laws. As long as they are within reach in the boat, you're ok.

Ben@SRP 03-22-2004 10:37 AM

Yes BK is correct... We do not recommend the AirVest for "open cockpit" boats, only canopy boats. Also yes, the $10 PFD is all you need to be legal. The full blow ballistic impact jacket with leg bands is the safest way to go. I don't care if it's LifeLine or SRP's. I know what a 36 Spectre can do (MPH's) and we do recommend a full racing lifejacket.

Good luck, Ben

Spectre Man 03-22-2004 10:44 AM

Thanks BK and Ben. Your advice is well taken. Ben how about some pictures.

Ben@SRP 03-22-2004 01:16 PM

Sorry Spectre Man... Got side tracked, did you want pictures of the PokerRun Jackets, AirVest, or Racing Jackets?

Ben

Spectre Man 03-22-2004 01:58 PM

Ben - Poker Run Jackets.

Ben@SRP 03-22-2004 02:49 PM

Ok... Will do.

Ben@SRP 03-24-2004 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spectre Man,
Here you go... Sorry for the delay. These are some of our Poker Run jackets that we have done lately...

Ben

Ben@SRP 03-24-2004 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is called, "Flame On":

Ben@SRP 03-24-2004 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SRP - Poker Run: