Notices

Stepp

Old 03-22-2004, 07:38 PM
LPA2106

Just saw on the news joe from Pantera spun out a 24'
Pantara. 3 People went into the water. Joe and one other were rescued. One person missing and the worst is presumed. lets all pray for them to find the one person. They are great people. I'm sick to my stomach!

..good thing it turned out ok....stepped or non-stepped....experienced or non-experienced...it happens

Old 03-22-2004, 07:39 PM
LPA2106

was on oso a while back...just cut and pasted

Old 03-22-2004, 07:47 PM
LPA2106

design is a big part in steps...from a 42'TS Cig article

Because the steps are only about an inch or two tall, they put enough air under the boat to break friction with the water but not so much that the boat's ride is upset. The 42 Tiger TS' bottom has inner strakes that end at the first step, while the outer strakes run full-length. To give the boat better grip in turns, the outer strakes and the chines are reversed, or turned down a few degrees. In slalom and circle maneuvers, the tweaked strakes and chines worked to perfection, giving the boat agility that's rare in a 40-plus-foot hull.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Velocity Tom
Mr Velocity , I have had a few crown and sevens but did you say a 36 skater will out turn any v. I have a little seat time in a 32/36 skaters and there aint no way Ill try and turn one like a v. But maybe there is something I dont know.
That's what I said, it will turn like a little tunnel boat. But you have to make sure the boat is set before you turn the wheel. Made a few high G turns that had my helmet bouncing off the side of the canopy.
However, just like a little tunnel if you catch air it will flat spin and roll, exactly what happened to us in Key West
Won't say who taught me how to drive though since it will add way too much fuel to this thread. There is a hint in my tagline though.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 03-22-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Too Old
Not to get us heading back in the wrong direction, but I've seen the photos Mike has. They do exsist and as they say, "they ain't pretty."

Feel free to disagree with Mike, but let's draw the line there.
Are they ever pretty?
Attached Thumbnails Stepp-fountain.jpg  
Old 03-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

Default Re: Not sure

Originally posted by Pantera1
Boat had 2 hours on it and he tripped it doing donuts..
O.K. So someone buys a boat, has very little time at the helm, has an accident, and it is because it is a stepped bottom boat.

mcollinstn, I think operating "characteristics" would be a better word. IDIOSYNCRASIES provides a negative connotation. Just because something is different does not mean it is negative. You are right, understanding those characteristics is what is important.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Termoli:

Yep, Slingshot (388), not a Talon/Hustler. Spun it like a flat rock. More than 50? Maybe a touch, but not over 60 - no way no how. And OF COURSE he did something very wrong. He dropped the drives all the way in and cranked the wheel. Wanted to show off. And he did. All the way around in a great big spray of water (no he did NOT do it on purpose. He lost his sunglasses and threw his passengers across the boat, breaking some bones - wrist or ribs or something...)

The Porsche analogy brought up is VERY APPROPRIATE. Perfect, I'll say.

And the comment about a loop-happy Porsche not being a more dangerous car is JUST AS WRONG as saying a step hull not being a more dangerous hull. BOTH EXAMPLES are "less safe" than "other designs" for exactly the reasons that are and have been mentioned: THEY BEHAVE VERY DIFFERENTLY THAN "everything else". With "everything else" being the other 95% of the vehicles (cars, boats) that most average joes have been around.

"Average Joes" don't know how to drive them or how to react in cornering situations. In a front engined, RWD car, lifting the throttle abruptly can shift weight from the rear tires and let it get loose if the car is balanced, but usually it just drops the tail back in line and makes the front plow. But in a Rear engined RWD Porsche, doing the same will result in a dang near instant snap spin. Polar momentum combined with weight transfer... Guys that UNDERSTAND this have the proper respect for the pedal and know what to do (or more importantly, what NOT to do). Many average joes playing Racer boy have looped a bunch of shiny 911's into the junkyard.

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but this DOES make the 911 "more dangerous" on an "average joe" scale.

JUST LIKE the "operating characteristics" of a step hull can definitely make them "more dangerous" on an "average joe" scale.

The guys on this board are "more in tune" with their machine than the "average joes". I'm not suggesting that anybody here should avoid step hulls if they want one.

I AM suggesting that step hulls EARNED their reputation as being "more dangerous" on an "averae joe" scale quite honestly.

To say that they have not (earned it) or are not (more dangerous on an average joe scale) is just being stubborn.

I like step hulls just fine. If you like em then more power to you. If you own one, then wonderful.

But I bet you a Whopper Value Meal that you brief your friends on how to trim and how to turn before you let them drive it, don't you...

Last edited by mcollinstn; 03-22-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Registered

I like the Porsche analogy. It is the correct one. Don't know what you are doing and you are going to swap ends. Even if you do know what you are doing, you can swap ends......but that is for any car........isn't it
Old 03-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Pete, I have them...Too Old has seen them along with a few others on OSO but like I said I am not going to turn this thread into a Velocity bash session nor should this thread turn into any sort of bash session. I believe one of the pics was posted on the other Velocity thread that was poofed.

Other than that....any boat will spin, any boat will break apart some just do it more than others.

I drew the line and am "being good" so don't cross it.

Enough....
you know i have seen those pics and i have seen pics of almost everyother brand that has been raced broken in many different ways fountain also but you always bring up the pics of the velocitys if you dont have an agenda i dont know what you would call it how many pics of broken fountains do you have or do you need some i am sure we can find some and i am not bashing fountains i like them
Old 03-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Registered

(Post #23)

quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steps themselves won't sell me. Neither will a pad or straight 24 degree traditional vee.

It's a matter of how it all works together.

Fred I agree A cool boat needs a really wild new steering wheel and some neat aircraft fuel fills

Quick Reply: Stepp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.