Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do people actually fall for this stuff? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74732-do-people-actually-fall-stuff.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 03-21-2004 10:22 PM

Do people actually fall for this stuff?

An email I just received: :rolleyes:

_Dear_ Citi _Users_,

ThIs _email_ was sentt by the Citibank-Online serevr to veerify _your_ _EMAIL_ addres_.
You must complete this process by clicking on the_link bellow and enteering
in the smmall winndow your Citi-Bank Atm/Debit full card number and CARD PIN that
you use on the Atm_machine. That_is done - for-your protection -E- becaurse some_of_our
membres _no longer have access to their _EMAIL addreses and we must verify it.

Unbelievable...........:rolleyes:

R Addiction 03-21-2004 10:55 PM

You mean that was Bogus?!!!! $hit...........;)

mlitefan 03-21-2004 11:20 PM

Here you go...

229 4455 3869 8800

pin: 2267

Thanks for letting me know cause I didn't get the e-mail...:p

Wellby 03-22-2004 01:38 AM

Some people :rolleyes:

Iggy 03-22-2004 05:16 AM

I got the Pay Pal scam two moths ago and just this morning I received and offer from a Mr. Richard Omojide who resides in Nigeria. Care to guess what he wants? :crazy: :crazy:

Like P.T. Barnum once said "There's a sucker born every minute".

CAP071 03-22-2004 05:19 AM

I'm sure some people do fall for it. I Just wonder how many actually do send their info back.

Iggy 03-22-2004 05:38 AM

There was a guy here in Orlando that fell for the Nigerian bank scam. Lost a ton of money in the process.

Received an E-mail from a good friend. He was alerting me to a new scam. It seems the crooks attatch a card skimming device over the normal card slot on front of legitimate ATM machines. As you insert your card it automatically reads your card information and transmits it wirlessly to a guy parked nearby. They also mount a deposit envelope holder with a tiny camera in its base and aim it towards the keypad so they can capture your PIN number as you enter it.
If you notice anything funny about the machines you use contact the owning bank ASAP.

The message I have was a notice issued by The University of Texas at Austin Police Department. It also included pictures of what to look for. Unfortunately it was not sent as an attachment or I'd post it. If anyone would like to have a copy I'd be gald to forward it to you just send me an e-mail.

GregP 03-22-2004 06:28 AM

I think I'll Start my own scam, hows this ...

Get Money Back from Your Checks

Many credit cards are now offering 1% or 2% money back when you use them. We will now give 10% back in CASH for checks. Just send your check, made out to CSI (Check Scams Incorporated) to our PO box and we will send you back 10% of the TOTAL CHECK VALUE in CASH!!!!

I'll be waiting for my millions to start pouring in any day now ;)

-Greg

Iggy 03-22-2004 09:07 AM

Found a link to the Austin Police and the scam.....ATM scam .

Miller 03-22-2004 09:50 AM

I read an article, I think it was in the WSJ, that Nigeria's largest industry is computer banking scams against American and European Union citizens brining in something like $1.0bn in real currency a year to Nigeria. That mean A LOT of people fall for this stuff. The article followed the exploits of some German retiree who fell for the scam and then followed the money until she tracked down and confronted the criminals who stole her life savings. They tried to kill her, but she got Interpol to arrest them and they were extradited to Germany, stood trial and are serving time in German prisons. It was a shocking expose to say the least.