Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   anybody into scuba diving (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74812-anybody-into-scuba-diving.html)

tizbad4 03-28-2004 11:33 AM

WELL....................... Did ya take your classes yet cupcake????? Call me Dave I'll give you a Idea on equipment.

glassdave 03-28-2004 01:46 PM

yep . . . .been do'n the book stuff for about a week and start class/pool stuff this thursday. i have been looking at some packages on line and found some decent deals, atleast i think they are. heres some links to 2 of the ones i was thinking about. what'd ya think guys?

click on the blue words to view the stuff in this package

found this one on ebay

this on ebay to

looking to spend about $1500.00 give or take. as a beginer should i stick to gauges or go computer right off the bat( i like gagets :D )? also i was looking at Kona wet suits, any thoughts? thanks guys

glassdave 03-28-2004 02:00 PM

heres a fin and mask package i liked

JnT 03-28-2004 06:08 PM

Helldivers Rodeo by Humberto Fontova is a must read!!

Saratoga Stamped 02-16-2015 06:32 PM

I captured this , over the weekend in Cozumel
Doc J

This video has a combination of Turtles, Rays, Fish, Coral and a Ship wreck dive( 90 to 110 feel),,,,

http://youtu.be/0NzAKnVMKI4

Crude Intentions 02-16-2015 07:00 PM

Very old thread but I love diving. Getting the cert was one of the best things I've done.

3pointstar 02-16-2015 07:03 PM

I have been diving since 1970. In fact my PADI card is so old it doesn't have a registration number on it--I get a few eyebrows raised every time I present it.

I have had the opportunity to dive
Door County - Gills Rock -- bring a wet suit and fill with warm water - It doesn't matter if its Jan or August -- the water is too cold
Inland lakes - in both summer and thru the ice - thru the ice is ok - the water is clear but bottom is limited trying to keep warm
Hawaii - a number of times - Molokini and other sites off Maui -- great time - spent sometime looking eyeball to eyeball with a humpback whale of Lahanai and just watched in awe - three white tip sharks swimming in formation -- just like the Blue Angles
Mexico - ok but I won't go back

The absolute best place I have been
Grand Cayman
I can't tell you how clear the water is - was down well over 100 ft - looked up and saw clouds-- now that is clear water. The reefs, corals, and life is awesome-- and the best part most of this is right off shore.

SCUBA is a blast-- our kids 12 and 17 have done the resort courses in Cayman.

But I don't have to tell you SCUBA can be dangerous and some situations can get in a world of hurt really quick without even knowing it. There is an old saying
"There are old divers and there are bold divers -- but there ain't no old bold divers"

Get certified and learn the physics and physiology of pressure on the human body-- it's neat stuff.

Above all be safe

3pointstar

Captain Nick 02-16-2015 07:18 PM

Scuba Diving is something that I would like to try. I bet it's a neat experience in it of itself.

PARADOX 02-16-2015 07:28 PM

My GF is in the pool right now, freezing her nipples off. lol .. I did the cert 6-7 years ago, and the pool class we did was sooooo fraking cold, I'm still shivering. But once you got it, diving is awesome fun. Keys are great, Hawaii is nice, Caribbean spots are ok too, but the Med is the best so far. :)

Saratoga Stamped 02-16-2015 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Nick (Post 4265939)
Scuba Diving is something that I would like to try. I bet it's a neat experience in it of itself.

I encourage your to give SCUBA a try. I have been diving for 40 + years, a PADI instructor and have certified many boat racers in the past few years. I have been fortunate to dive around the globe, but tend to drift to Cozumel/Bonaire most often,,,,,,,,,,
Doc J