Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   anybody into scuba diving (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/74812-anybody-into-scuba-diving.html)

glassdave 03-22-2004 05:39 PM

anybody into scuba diving

i have been wanting to get into scuba diving for some time now and my plan is to get certified in the next few weeks here and do my open water dives next month on my trip to Jamiaca (go'n there for TizBads wedding :cool: ) i was just wondering what would be a good group of equiptment to get started with. i plan on diving regularly as i have quite a few friends that are into it already so i dont mind spending money on good equiptment that i can use but at the same time i'd rather not buy stuff i really dont need. thanks guys :cool:

also is ebay a good place to get equiptment ?

restabr 03-22-2004 05:53 PM

I've been diving for years, but it's been a while since I've bought equipment. I bought top-shelf gear several years ago and took really good care of it so its all still as good today as when it was new. What you'll need to buy will depend on what type of diving you intend to do. I'd start with a top-shelf BC, nitrox compatible regulator, and dive computer. From there you can pick and choose. About all I dive with other than the above is a wetsuit, booties, fins, mask and a small knife.

As far as the best brands and manufactures go my info is not current enough to know. My .02 on computers is to stay away from air integrated. I have a traditional tank pressure/depth console and attach my computer to the hose. This way if my computer fails my dive isn't instantly over.

Good luck - there's nothing like diving. Go to Cozumel, Mexico. Its easy to get to and the diving is awesome.

frequentflyer 03-22-2004 06:19 PM

Been diving for years but like Restabr I bought good stuff to begin with and haven't had to replace it. Most of my stuff is ScubaPro. Don't cheap out on the Regulator or BC and make sure you have an octupus and or spare air. Saved my life once. When you are down there that is your life support so get the best youj can afford. BC and Reg everything else is a luxury. I don't use dive computers only because I do not trust computers. (I'm sure they are very reliable, just a pet peave of mine.) I'd rather work the tables. Anyway diving is awesome I am sure you will enjoy it. Let me know if you have any ??s

traviss 03-22-2004 06:43 PM

I am into muff diving :D

does that help ya ... i can give ya some tips :p

glassdave 03-22-2004 06:54 PM

Originally posted by traviss
I am into muff diving :D

does that help ya ... i can give ya some tips :p

i'm already certified in that :D :p

218diver 03-22-2004 07:03 PM

I have been diving for 15 years and you can not go wrong with Scubapro regs. and equipment. I use a dive computers on every dive and would not dive without one, however I do deep diving a have to decompress on almost every dive. It is a fun sport that you can combine with boating very easy. Good luck and dive safe

Madcow 03-22-2004 07:19 PM

Talk to the guys at aqua hut. Really nice knowledgeable guys. They aren't going to talk you into stuff you dont need. BTW I have bought a few things on Ebay. Its just like anything else, be careful what you buy and what you pay, but you know that already.

Ed 03-22-2004 07:29 PM

Been diving for years!

One of my favorite things to do. Can't get enough opportunities to go. You start looking at your boat, and the next boat you buy, to see how easy it is to enter/exit off the transom! Be careful! The next thing you know...you've bought a dive boat! Seriously...it's a blast. Ed:D

Madcow 03-22-2004 08:43 PM

Thats a good point, but If you go I'll go with.

Miller 03-22-2004 08:55 PM

I also have been diving for years and bought good stuff to begin with and haven't had to buy anything in at least 5 or 6 years.