Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   5.0L or 4.6L Stang??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75384-5-0l-4-6l-stang.html)

SS930 03-29-2004 12:16 PM

5.0L or 4.6L Stang???

Thought I'd post this on this forum so someone will see it... :rolleyes:

I need some help from you guys. My better half wants a new (used) car. She likes cheap little 4 cyl. POS cars, but I end up driving the damn things so I don't want to go that route anymore. She wants a convertible and I was looking around for something that I wouldn't mind driving and I decided she'll get a conv. Mustang ( ). A V8 is a must. Years ago I had a 88 GT that I put twin turbos on (FAST CAR!), and I'd likely buy this new (used) car with a supercharger on it or install one. My question is which engine should I go for? The 5.0L in the 94-95 is very simple and cheap to replace and modify, but the newer 4.6L seems to be a good engine from what I've heard. What are your thought on these two engines? How many miles can I expect to get out of each engine if it's well maintained? If I pop a 5.0L I know I can get a new GT40 long-block for $3000. If I pop a 4.6L what's it going to cost me?

Which makes the most power (all things being equal)?

Please keep in mind I will be supercharging the engine.

Also, are there any good Mustang forums?

TIA

Tbonepmp 03-29-2004 12:26 PM

Try Stangnet.com
How much are you wanting to spend?
I have a 1995 Cobra with a 351 bored out to a 396 with a supercharger on it that I am going to sell. It is probably just a bit radical for your better half though...
Regards

Gary Anderson 03-29-2004 12:29 PM

Tbone, did you have it sitting up by Highway K & N a week or 2 ago with a "For Sale" sign on it?
Gary

97BossHammer 03-29-2004 12:46 PM

or try corral.net

I like the 5.0's better....cheaper to mod. But your wife will probably want a newer one more then likely. Old 5.0's that haven't been taken through the ringer will probably be hard to find. The 96-98 GT's are dogs......I'd stay away from them. Depending on your budjet...I'd try to get a 98 and up Cobra.....nice cars....throw a blower on and be set. If thats too much....get an older 5.0 that you can mod. I look at it like this....if your planning to really mod it out...get a 5.0 by all means. If you just want to throw a blower on and be done with it....get the 4.6. Both engines are very very reliable but I'm betting you and the wife would like something a little newer so the 4.6 might be the best option for you.

SS930 03-29-2004 01:04 PM

She never likes to spend over $12K for a car (I guess I should be happy about that:D). So $7K-15K is the range I've been looking at. The car MUST be a convertible and she thinks the 94-04 cars are "cute". I won't go crazy with the mods, but I also can't leave anything alone.:crazy:

It doesn't have to be new, but it has to look nice... (like her little POS 4 cyl. cars do???). I'd prefer to find a car that already has a SC on it with nice wheels and maybe some body mods as well, this way I won't lose my shirt on aftermarket mods.

I saw this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT
It looks nice and it's only two or three hours away from me. What do you guys think it's worth? The guy wants like 12K+ for it.

If any of you have a car that you think might fit the bill, please send me a PM... I'd prefer to deal with OSO!:cool:

Jamie B. 03-29-2004 02:36 PM

You'll have much better gains working a 5 liter, for alot less money.

DPT MOTORSPORTS 03-29-2004 04:12 PM

I would have to agree highly with what Jamie B. just posted.

GO4BROKE 03-29-2004 04:14 PM

Z28:D

Couldn't resist;:p

97BossHammer 03-29-2004 04:22 PM

thats a nice looking 96 on ebay....12k sounds a bit high...but he does have a good bit done to it.

phastang 03-29-2004 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a 1995 Convertible that is mint. 347 Stroker Motor with a T-Trim Vortech. Car dynoed 578HP at the rear wheels on pump gas and is a great daily driver with less than 55K on the the car, and less than 2500 on the Drivetrain. I'd be glad the give you all the details, just give me a call or e-mail me and I'd be glad to send more pics. I've been contemplating selling this car for about a year now, but as the original owner, I am having trouble accepting the proverbial bath I will take when I sell it. I've got reciepts for over $70K invested, but I'm ready to move on.
Thanks,
Ty
cell 985-373-0134
[email protected]