Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   It's official: I need to find a new job. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75408-its-official-i-need-find-new-job.html)

mr_velocity 03-30-2004 09:36 AM

Originally posted by ScottB
Waterfoul
I used to place contract engineers for a living and when I left the company 1.5 years ago a good QA guy in automotive was making 35-50hr on contract. I have a friend still in the business who may be able to help.
His name is Chris Towns toll free 888-842-3225
I know we have worked with Johnson Controls in the past. The company he works for is Oxford International and they are very good

Not bad, stay out of IT. I know someone that just took a contract job at AT&T at $34 an hour. Soon everything will be in India.

Ms PatriYacht 03-30-2004 10:22 AM

Mike I will keep an eye out for you, like many have said you have a great background. Finding out in advance is good because you can spend time looking and not have to jump at the first thing that comes along. Someone else said network, that is the best advice yet, let everyone know and follow all the leads, because each lead can add to 2 more.
Donna

Waterfoul 03-30-2004 06:13 PM

I just had a meeting with a friend of mine at a large local company. He is in project management and has some pull. Turns out one of my old bosses from JCI now works there also... he and I got along well and worked together well. I'm going to give him a shout this week and shoot him an email with my resume. Networking at work I guess.

We got to go one on one with out plant manager today... I asked him how they would determine who got layed off. He said seniority. I asked if this would be Holland wide or just in our plant (we have 4 other facilities in Holland). He wasn't sure. If it goes Holland wide, I'm in the clear. There are 2800 hourly employees in Holland, and if they are cutting 800+ jobs, that would leave somewhere around 2000 hourly jobs left. As far as seniority goes, I'm probably in the top 30% or so with my nearly 12 years with the company. So, I probably have a job when all is said and done. BUT, I do not want to work for JCI any more. I'm tired of being treated like a pee-on. I need to move on. For my own sake.

Mike

Reckless32 03-30-2004 07:02 PM

Federal Jobs Digest: 1-800-824-5000
Civil Service: www.usajobs.opm.gov
www.fedjobs.com
www.careerbuilder.com
www.interviewcoach.com
www.bls.gov/ocohome.htm occupational Outlook
http://acinet.org (Career Info: wages; employment trends; etc.)
www.job-searchengine.com

Self-help sites:
www.damngood.com/jobseekers/tips.html
www.jobtrak.com/
www.careerlab.com/ (Resume Writing)
www.headhunter.net/ (self-explanatory)

Now get going. There's seats waiting for azz's out there...;)

BGIII 03-30-2004 07:16 PM

Mike,

Get on with it. You've been *****ing about JCI for 3 years now. Go buy the book "Who Moved My Cheese", read it and get on with life. Don't be the mouse that sits there and complains. JCI sucks and you know it. Go find something you really enjoy and things will work out. You know I've been there done that! Move on!

Mr Gadgets 03-30-2004 08:35 PM

Mike,
The first person I thougt of when I heard the news was you. I know you were hanging in there for JCI and stepping down from the cush job, so that you would be there when things got better!! And now this.. It just plain sucks!!! Been there done that!! I am sorry to hear it, but as others have said, it could be a blessing in disguise!! So hold your head up high and take a deep breath! Then sharpen your pencil and get that resume dusted off and GO FOR IT!! There are jobs out there, not very many, but there is one for you if you work at it. My advice, focus on the future and dont look back!
Go to www.Michigan.gov and check out the State jobs. Not the best paying, but there is time off and good benifits..

Good Luck and

MACDAD260 03-31-2004 05:51 AM

I heard the news this week about JCI in Holland and wondered if you would be hit. Sorry to hear that you are. This will have a negative affect on the whole area. Good luck and I hope you find something.

See ya, Doug :mad:

BK 03-31-2004 08:59 PM

Waterfoul,

While checking out the Michigan stuff, be sure and check South Bend/Elkhart/Mishawaka area too. We're suffering numerous plant closings down here too, but there always seems to be some high level help wanted ads in the newspaper every week. It's only a couple of hours away from where you are now.

Here's a sample http://www.southbendtribune.com/

12. Dexter Axle, the leading North American producer of high quality trailer axles and running gear, is seeking a Quality Engineer for its Elkhart headquarters facility. A Bachelor of Science in Engineering or an Engineering Technology related field is essential. Familiarity with Quality Systems, SPC and problem solving techniques desired. The successful candidate will design, develop and improve gauging methods and systems. Other duties include assisting Dexter Axle facilities with SPC problem solving. The candidate should be a capable problem solver, self-starter and possess good written and verbal communication skills. We currently offer an attractive compensation and benefit package. Please send a resume along with salary requirements to: DEXTER AXLE Director of Human Resources PO Box 250 Elkhart, Indiana 46515 eoe m/f
South Bend Tribune Subclassification: Engineering 3/28/2004

------------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Experienced electrical project estimator to work with customers on RFQ's, developing take-offs from customers drawings and specifications, and developing value-added or cost-out alternatives. Position requires strong organizational skills, and communication with vendors, customers, and internal engineering resources. Please forward resume, with compensation history to: [email protected] or mail to: Koontz-Wagner Electric Company, Inc. Attn: Human Resources Dept. CCE 3801 Voorde Drive South Bend, IN 466628

------------------------------------------------------------------------14. The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, a worldwide leader in tire and rubber products, is currently seeking a qualified candidate Development Engineer position at the Sun Prairie, Wisconsin facility. Major responsibility of this position includes: Application of technical/engineering expertise for the development, implementation and the improvement of quality and/or process systems. Must be able to interact directly and effectively with the production, development, marketing/sales, customers and suppliers. The qualified candidate will have a minimum of 4 years mechanical or chemical engineering degree. Necessary skills include organizational, leadership, verbal and written communications, problem solving, Access, Excel and Word. Travel of approximately 20 days per year will be required. Bilingual Spanish/English required. German language skills desirable. QS9000/ISO9000SPC and DOEX experience preferred. Compensation package includes medical, prescription Rx, dental, vision, life, LTD, retirement (including 401K). If qualified, send resume and cover letter to: The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Attn: Ken Birdwell 143 Goodyear Street Sun Prairie, Wisconsin 53590 GOODYEAR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V

blownincome 04-01-2004 05:11 AM

Waterfoul..
Please check your PM box
Thanks ,,
Bob

wwwTOPDJcom 04-01-2004 10:22 AM

NAFTA got its start with BUSH SR so undo all of daddy's
mistakes please

NAFTA was built upon a 1989 trade agreement between the United States and Canada that eliminated or reduced many tariffs between the two countries. NAFTA called for immediately eliminating duties on half of all U.S. goods shipped to Mexico and gradually phasing out other tariffs over a period of about 14 years. Restrictions were to be removed from many categories, including motor vehicles and automotive parts, computers, textiles, and agriculture. The treaty also protected intellectual property rights (patents, copyrights, and trademarks) and outlined the removal of restrictions on investment among the three countries. Provisions regarding worker and environmental protection were added later as a result of supplemental agreements signed in 1993.

In December 1992 NAFTA was signed by the leaders of the three countries—Brian Mulroney of Canada, Carlos Salinas de Gortari of Mexico, and George H. W. Bush of the United States. After a lengthy debate, the legislatures in all three countries approved NAFTA in 1993. In the United States, the debate over NAFTA divided members of both the Democratic and Republican parties and ignited fierce opposition from environmental and labor groups. Many feared that jobs would be lost because the agreement would facilitate the movement of U.S. production plants to Mexico, where plants could take advantage of cheaper labor and lax enforcement of environmental and workers’ rights laws. Environmental groups were concerned that pollution and food safety controls would be more difficult to enforce and could be challenged and eliminated on the grounds that they were trade barriers. In response to these concerns, two supplemental agreements were added to the formal treaty; one addressed labor issues and the other environmental issues. Subsequently, the Congress of the United States narrowly approved NAFTA in November 1993.