Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   It's official: I need to find a new job. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75408-its-official-i-need-find-new-job.html)

Waterfoul 03-29-2004 04:24 PM

It's official: I need to find a new job.

My company, Johnson Controls Inc. today announced that all the business in my plant will be transfered to Ramos, Mexicio starting this fall. This truley is a shock to all of us because my plant is the most profitable in the company, and has the most new business coming into it over the next two years.

You may say this is off topic and should not be on the G.D. forum, but it affects several OSO members directly, as many as 6-8 of us work at JCI. It will also force me to get out of boating for good unless I can find a job that pays what I make now.

So, I need a job. I'm college educated (BA University of Michigan, 1991, BA Calvin College, 1992), a hard worker, and will do just about anything. Suggestions? I really don't want to move, but I guess if I had to..... I'd consider it. I have a lot of experience as a quality engineer and project manager. But I got downsized out of both of those jobs over the last 6-7 years.

Mike

:(

Sydwayz 03-29-2004 04:45 PM

Hang in there Mike, and best of luck. My advice...
Get on Monster.com and all the sites NOW. You want to find a job while you still have one, and before all your buddies jump ship and take YOUR slot.

Jump in HEAD FIRST. Get one of those thick rubber bands, and wear it on your wrist. Snap it (hard) every time you need motivation. (Trust me, it works!)

Good luck!

SpeedGirl 03-29-2004 04:45 PM

:( wish I could Help....

KH0302 03-29-2004 04:46 PM

Johnson has a big facility here in GA, in Alpharetta. Maybe a transfer/relocate?

mikev 03-29-2004 04:56 PM

the one here in georgia doesnt pay squat i met a couple of guys that work there and they make $12 hr building seats for the gm plant in doraville

welly192 03-29-2004 04:59 PM

Sorry to hear this..

My advice NETWORK!

The company I currently work for has cash problems.
I have been looking since the 1st of the year. IT jobs
especially are difficult to find. I just got an offer a few
minutes ago, Better Company mroe $$ the works. I was
told over 1000 people applied for the position.

I got it because I knew one of the guys inside the company who had worked for me before.
Network with people who you worked for in the past
Especially in markets like this today.

Networking works.

Ray

Scooter 03-29-2004 05:34 PM

sorry to heard that foul good luck buddy

KH0302 03-29-2004 05:55 PM

Originally posted by mikev
the one here in georgia doesnt pay squat i met a couple of guys that work there and they make $12 hr building seats for the gm plant in doraville
Ok, I'd bet they don't employ college edjumakated boys like foulbreath at the gm plant tho.

Bajagus 03-29-2004 06:01 PM

Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear this... Been in that boat before, it SUCKS!!!!
Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail in the AM, I may be able to find out who is hiring on your side of the state, or elsewhere if you are interested.
I am sure this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise!!!
You will end up getting a dream job, I did!!!!
PS I work for GM now, beating up suppliers over tool costs!!

Gus

[email protected]
810-278-0754

Reed Jensen 03-29-2004 06:05 PM

Another job lost to Nafta... and you guys know that the Mexicans are working for pennies per hour.... great... Thank you Bill Clinton... :mad: