Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Loss of Wisdom (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75452-loss-wisdom.html)

2112 04-03-2004 05:37 PM

I am not "prescribing" meds to you but in my experience 875 per day of augmentin will not be enough. The original Rx probably was for 1 tab every 8 hours. This is more effective. Your symptom of a sore throat leads me to believe you have a secondary infection. Even a Phone call to your surgeon may get you a more appropriate antibiotic. In lieu of that, if you have enough augmentin, go to 1 tab every 8 hours.

Take care not to flush the extraction site too aggressively with your monoject syringe. Remember to use salty water with the syringe also.

For you to be this uncomfortable 6 days post op is most likely attributed to a dry socket and/or infection. Don't put the call off too long buddy.

mcollinstn 04-03-2004 06:16 PM

875 it is...

Formula Outlaw 04-03-2004 06:52 PM

More than likely a mild infection. Generally, if you have to wonder or ask if you've got "dry socket" you don't. If you get it you will know it. NO questions needed.....

2112 04-03-2004 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
More than likely a mild infection. Generally, if you have to wonder or ask if you've got "dry socket" you don't. If you get it you will know it. NO questions needed.....
Actually, I disagree. There are many grades of dry socket depending on how much cortical bone is exposed above the granular tissue invasion of the extraction site. I have seen and treated many dry sockets that were partially filled with granular fill and they benefitted from curettage and packing of gelfoam with a very small amount of eugenol on the foam.

Just my 2 cents

fund razor 04-04-2004 08:20 AM

I'm glad a dentist has found this post.

Hey doc, I had dry socket, an expose gang of nerves, and a broken jaw from my horizontal impaction of number 32. Was in pain for three weeks until the tissue granulated up past those nerves. I'm now in week 4.
Just a big hole that food gets in. Still using Peridex daily.

The OMS guy that was covering on the weekend that I couldn't bear the dry socket pain was great. He packed it and gave me better meds. He ended up packing it 5 times in 10 days until enough tissue had granulated.
I learned that the pain management was a bigger job than the extraction. I think the packing with sedative dressing saved my life.

Im not a DDS, but I was trying to give Mcollinstn any info that I had. Didn't want him to end up like me.

I found that I tolerated mega doses of Ibuprofen well. They helped the pain and the swelling. I did a lot of salt water "holds" and rinses. They helped a lot.

mcollinstn 04-04-2004 11:02 AM

I'm calling the damn doctor.

Owww.

mcollinstn 04-04-2004 12:39 PM

Alright, called the emergency number, got the answering service, explained the problem. They told me doctor Maharajadeen (or something like that) was on call. I told them I didn't care if doctor Satan was on call. They said to expect a call in the next ten minutes. An hour later, I get a call from an Indian woman doctor who I could barely understand. She takes like 4 seconds inbetween words. She says "Dees ... ees ... dock ... tah ... moo ... hraa ... jah .... tee ... ?" I said, "Yes. Dr. Shea removed my four wisdom teeth Tuesday and I have considerable pain and need something done about it. Where do I need to meet you?"

She replies. "Ehh ... you ... call ... ... ... need ??" (or at least that is all I got out of it).

I repeated myself verbatim.

She says, " Yooo ... neee ... call ... suh ... jeeeen ... hooo ... pufooomed ... suh ... jeee."

"Excuse me? I said."

She says, " Yooo ... neee .... call .... din .... teees ... hooo ... pufoooomed ... work."

I said, " I DID call the dentist who performed the work. I called their emergency number and was transferred to an answering service who took my information and told me that YOU would be calling me. Now I am in considerable discomfort and I need to have somebody take a look at me to figure out what is going on."

She says, " Yooo .... neee ... call ... deen .... teees .."

I said, " I was connected to your answering service when I called the dentist, was this a mistake, or are you on call for the oral surgery group."

She says, " Yooo shooo go tooo muh jen see rooom."

I said, Thank you, and hung up.

Called the emergency number back, got a different attendant, they told me that Dr. McCloud was on call, and took my info (can't figure out what happened earlier, unless the call center software hiccupped or something). He called back within 3 minutes.

Told him the issue. He asked how long it would take me to meet him at the office. I said two minutes - he said, "give me ten". I said "Deal".

In and out very efficiently.

Verdict: Two dry sockets, both on the right side. Lower one completely dry (an acre of exposed surface were his words), upper one more or less 10% dry. Packed them in clove oil. Told me it would burn. Didn't burn, felt nice. Handed me a kit to do myself with instructions on what to do. Told me to come back tomorrow for another look. Also told me next time to not wait so long. Nice guy. (he said I could continue the antibiotics if I wanted to, but that he didn't think they were necessary - I told him I was gonna eat em up and play it safe.) Offered to refill my pain meds, but I told him if it wasn't going to get any worse than the way it felt with the packing, then there was no need.

Wow. Back home inside of an hour, 40 minutes actually.

Ahh.

Downtown42 04-04-2004 01:13 PM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
Packed them in clove oil. Told me it would burn. Didn't burn, felt nice.
Ahh.

INDIAN PACKETS!!!!! You should have listened to what I said 3 times!! You'd be out boating instead of talking to answering service in Bombay. I know facts are 5-10% only get dry socket. Hard for me to believe as me, wife and just about everyone else I know has had them. You're home free now MAC.....:)

2112 04-04-2004 01:17 PM

I am glad you finally called.

The clove oil is the eugenol I mentioned earlier.

The issue at hand is the exposed cortical bone above the actual granulation invasion. The eugenol kind of numbs it into submission like a minor "embalming" in a crude analogy.

As fund razor mentions, NSAIDS (ibuprofen/motrin) are also of great benefit due to their inflammation reducing properties.

In my experience, most cases need only one visit such as yours. Fund Razor's must have been a very very traumatic extraction to require the treatment he received. Rare but it happens.

The amazing part is your incredible sense of humor through it all!

2112 04-04-2004 01:33 PM

Actually, You are probably the most hilarious poster I have read on this board, and there are some funny people here.

You are funny in a "Dennis Miller" kinda way. I am sure you appreciate that I mean that as a sincere compliment.:D :D :D

You had me rolling on the check valve thread in the tech section!:D