Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   bottom wax?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75506-bottom-wax.html)

Chris 03-30-2004 08:43 PM

bottom wax??

I have always waxed the bottom of my boats. I recently had a discussion with someone that told me I was wasting my time. He told me you will gain more speed by not waxing because it creates friction causing tiny bubbles that will make the hull faster. Is there any truth to this???

HyperBaja 03-30-2004 09:49 PM

they are right, from what I hear

R Addiction 03-30-2004 11:03 PM

I've heard the same, also a light scuff of the running surface:eek: They say it works:p

Reed Jensen 03-30-2004 11:20 PM

I tend to disagree.... I know from experience the waxed surfaces that repel the water tend to be less sticky... it's just keeping the wax on longer than the first ten feet!.... :D

PhantomChaos 03-30-2004 11:26 PM

Snake oil is better....ask DMAN. :D

R Addiction 03-31-2004 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
I tend to disagree.... I know from experience the waxed surfaces that repel the water tend to be less sticky... it's just keeping the wax on longer than the first ten feet!.... :D
I've heard that if two surface's are smooth, it creates a sort of suction. Sort of like two peices of wet glass laying on top of each other. :) Not a scientist here!!;)

Shane 03-31-2004 05:45 AM

Waxing the bottom will DEFINTELY slow you down. If you look at the bottom of most race boats you will see they have been wet sanded. Waxing the bottom does NOT create bubbles under water. The wet sanded bottom will aggitate the water, thereby aerating it and causing less wetted surface area. RAddiction is EXACTLY correct in his description of it being like two glass surface with water between them. I have personally experienced both and on a cat you REALLY can feel it.

Dave M 03-31-2004 06:48 AM

I've read different theories on this topic. I doubt there would be a measurable difference in speed either way on a pleasure boat. When I wax my hull sides, the portion below the water line seems to wear off after one run anyway. It at least looses it's ability to bead water.

I don't wax my bottom just because it is a pain in the ass to do. Plus it is not exposed to the sun.

Danny Usnik 03-31-2004 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Dave M

I don't wax my bottom just because it is a pain in the ass to do.

I second that, but now I will be able to say " I don't wax the bottom because it makes it faster" :D :D

ONESICKGLADIATOR 03-31-2004 07:52 AM

Stop waxing the bottom

Just put a bigger motor in the boat if you want more speed.

waxing the bottom is a waste of time because it will not stay on for more the 10 feet