Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Alright I need some OSO advice... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75541-alright-i-need-some-oso-advice.html)

Airpacker 03-31-2004 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Cord
Sooner or later you'll need that college edeucation.
Well said but may I add, choose carefully your course of study. There are a lot of political science degree holders working in dead end jobs that have nothing to do with their degrees. While a degree in the history of the english language might look good on the wall, its pretty much useless in the real world. Thin about what you want to do for the rest of your working life, then choose schooling to further your aspirations, not just suck up 4 years and lots of money.

Ms PatriYacht 03-31-2004 12:45 PM

I might have missed this but what type of business does your uncle have?

C M R 03-31-2004 12:53 PM

I know I will attend college. It's just i'm uncertain of what I want to go into. I don't want to get a degree or attend school and absolutely hate what I'm doing. I would like to find out what I enjoy doing and then pursue a degree in that. Right now I do know that I like working with people, and extremely enjoy working with boats(Offshore boats in particular) but being around any type of boat and the water would be great. I know thats it is easier said then done, but I will go to school once I find a niche that I enjoy doing.

aero-offshore 03-31-2004 01:29 PM

Many employers would rather hire employees from trade schools than from colleges, less partying, more hands on and less time spent. Usually you have a job before you complete your training, and the gov. will pay for most of your tuition. You have a loooong time to go. Look around you, who are the people you look up to the most in your area that you'ed like to take after? then find out what they do and pursue that if it interests you. Your probably going to change professions at least 3 times in your life take your chances until your satisfied and never give up or be afraid to loose, remember Donald Trump went bankrupt 11 times before he made his first million!!

Cord 03-31-2004 03:04 PM

Somebody once told me...the students he hired from tech schools had real hands on knowledge but couldn't think outside of the box. The students from colleges had the theoretical knowledge but no experience. He liked to hire the tech school guys because they would work for less $$ than college guys and he would do the thinking for them.

There is a reason for that though. Most of the tech schools teach hands on items. In todays society, when you are hands on, it generally means less pay. Sorry guys, but today blue collar generally makes less than white collar. There is always the exception, but usually it's the blue collar guy who can use his melon.

I think we are getting to the point in society where you must have an education. Doesn't matter if it's a masters in political science. You just have to be able to put down some degree on your resume. Of course, blue collar jobs don't have resumes.

Do you get where I'm going?

C M R 03-31-2004 03:34 PM

Yes, I do get where your going.. It's sad to say but in most cases if you don't have a degree they wont even look at you. I don't know how many lecturers I have gone through from my mother and father, about how important it is to obtain a college degree..

Although there are people out there who are very successful with out ever stepping a foot in a college class room. I personally think you can make a very decent living by running your own business or doing what you love to do with ever getting higher education. I personally know some people who have worked very hard for them selves and live a nice life with out the education.

But unless your lucky or like working at subway you really do need a higher education.

-David

Downtown42 03-31-2004 04:34 PM

Originally posted by aero-offshore
remember Donald Trump went bankrupt 11 times before he made his first million!!
Let's not forget the 13 million daddy left him before he got going...:eek:

pullmytrigger 03-31-2004 06:43 PM

My ex wife works at a university and her dept spends tons of money on research about jobs and such for the govt......now considering the amount of people leaving the job at the current rate due to retirement etc , the current enrollment rate against expected demand in the next 15 years the most in demand job in the next 15yrs bar none will be..............auto mechanic. And that trend shows no signs of changing. Now you know what happens when demand is high and supply is short...wages go Up. I see that at my own company.
Not surprising some of the high end car companies like BMW and Mercedes are starting their own grass roots technician schools.
She says typically parents have dreams of their children being accountants or lawyers not tradesman and send their kids to school accordingly but the need for accountants and especially lawyers(!!) etc is drying up.
This all spoken from a tradesman.......
In a trade you walk in off the street, you make money (not much) while your learning but accumulate no debt and after 5 yrs you are a journeyman and at top rate........guaranteed....not satisfied with top rate....open your own business and the sky is the limit.
In a white collar job you go to school make no money and accumulate debt but generally start out at a higher rate of pay when you actually start working (2 to 10 yrs......??) provided you can find a job in your field (and there is no guarantee of that).....not satisfied with your rate of pay?....open your own business and the sky is the limit......doug

C M R 03-31-2004 09:26 PM

- Doug
It's my opinion that in today's society working for your self you will make more money then working for a company..But in turn you gotta deal with alot more.. You just cant go to work for 8 to 5 and be over with it. But to start and run you own business you gotta learn every you can and to your best ability. If you start young though you can learn these trades and like you said the sky is the limit!

Hi-Tech Marine 03-31-2004 09:44 PM

$0.02 Worth

I am in the Destin area. There are really no schools here to bragg about - There is a community college.

Dont really know about the So FL schools.

IN either choice, watch and learn the business end of whats going on. You can do that while sweeping floors and asking questions. I learned more by asking questions and listening at your age. I was holding a shovel on construction jobs and going to school. By 22 I was the youngest field engineer & assistant PM in the company assigned to a major parking structure & hospital addition.

School? Take any business courses or accounting.
Position yourself to work for you.