Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How to Steal a Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75659-how-steal-boat.html)

GregP 04-01-2004 11:41 AM

How to Steal a Boat

Ever wondered how to find that FREE boat of your dreams? Just go to the vessel name database (no, I'm NOT going to tell you where it is), type in some portion of a boat like name, and search for the boat model you want. You can get the boats location (to make it easier to go pick it up), description, doc number and serial number (you will need those for your phoney ownership and shipping documents), even size and weight.

Believe it or not the Fed's INSIST that this information must be available ON THE INTERNET!. I know, I've written and officially asked them to remove my boat, but the NOAA rep says it is required by law that the information be available to the public (which he inturprets to be open to anyone with no questions asked as to why they need it).

No, this ISN'T and April Fools joke. Just thought that with the recent rash of thefts it might be a good time to bring it back up to everyones attention.

-Greg

HyperBaja 04-01-2004 11:56 AM

Waterfoul, want to make some $?

Even easier with boats than cars, us in the north dont see ours from Nov-April. So we dont know anythings gone until it is too late. :(

open87 04-01-2004 01:11 PM

:eek: :eek:

CigDaze 04-01-2004 01:46 PM

Wow, I'm kind of taken aback. You'd certainly never this kind of information available on vehicles. It's just stupid.

gmhdfan 04-01-2004 09:05 PM

The state of Fla will sell DMV lists to people that want to buy them. Think of what could happen if this list falls into the wrong hands. Year, make, model and address to every Harley, Vette, Boat, etc. registered in the state. Ever wonder where the catalogs (that you didn' t request) to things you own come from? My Drivers License and titles all have a PO box address on them.

MnFastBoat 04-01-2004 10:27 PM

well just about anything and everything is listed publicly :(

was involved in a minor accident this winter
within 2 weeks I received over a dozen letters and notes from Dr's and chiropractors not to mention the lawyers :(
damn shame that no one has anything private.

CigDaze 04-02-2004 07:21 AM

Originally posted by MnFastBoat
well just about anything and everything is listed publicly :(

was involved in a minor accident this winter
within 2 weeks I received over a dozen letters and notes from Dr's and chiropractors not to mention the lawyers :(
damn shame that no one has anything private.

It's amazing isn't it? :mad:

My wife got a speeding tocket a couple weeks ago...All of a sudden, every damned day I get at least half a dozen solicitations for anything from driver improvement courses to insurance quotes to you name it. :mad: