Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   No More APBA Sponsorship for OSO? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75726-no-more-apba-sponsorship-oso.html)

magnum27 04-02-2004 10:08 AM

APBA is such a clusterf****. It seems SBI is going to be the one that survives in the long run. After reading all that APBA has done to people, it is no wonder that SBI will never merge with APBA. Why would they? It will be interesting to see how APBA survives this year. OSO I am sorry to here that you and the owner of that beautiful Top Gun got the raw end of the deal, it's really sad. I think I have just about lost all hope in APBA. I just hope they realize what a big mistake they are making.

Danny Usnik 04-02-2004 10:29 AM

Re: Re: Dear Shane

Originally posted by Too Old
Steve,

The race organizations need to slap a gag order on the racers. As a condition of membership, they should not be allowed to to criticize their organization or any racing organization for that matter on a public forum.

I agree. They need to keep the dirty laundry inside the house.

DaveP 04-02-2004 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Shane
Like Too Old said...GO POKER RUNNING!
YEAH BABY!:D

Shane 04-02-2004 10:57 AM

Originally posted by OffshoreOnly
To set the record straight, OSO was stiffed by APBA (LLC/Khaman Holdings) for the insurance deductable on the Pace Boat that was hit in the St Pete Race last year. APBA (LLC/Khaman Holdings) claims they do not have the funds to pay the deductable or the other funds owed to OSO because of the boycott. OSO decided to end the relationship due to a broken contractual agreement.

We did not want to share this but we would rather share than let bad info start to spread.

OSO will be Pacing some races this year for other organizations.

Otherwise, like Shane said, lets go Poker Running.

T

WOW that SUCKS but does NOT surprise me at all!:( :mad: :hothead:

WILDTHING TAZ 04-02-2004 11:02 AM

HEY STEVE U GOT IT LETS GO POKER RUNNING. YOU KNOW EASTSIDE MAY NOT BE THE GLAMOROUS HIGHLY PROFILED RUN IN THE NATION. BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE OSO AT OUR RUN. WE HAVE JUST AS MUCH FUN AS ANYONE ELSE. THINK ABOUT IT. JULY 23 RD & 24TH. RON BENDER 216-390-1330 :)

InTow 04-02-2004 11:20 AM

Re: Re: Dear Shane

Originally posted by Too Old from his palace in Pyongyang, North Korea
The race organizations need to slap a gag order on the racers. As a condition of membership, they should not be allowed to to criticize their organization or any racing organization for that matter on a public forum.

Yes. And if they fail to obey the gag order, they should be herded into concentration camps and dealt with severely.

That gag order is an order to gag.

T2x 04-02-2004 11:37 AM

Let me wade in here..........

Currently we have two flawed concepts.........

APBA LLC.......and SBI.

Without going into the details and examples ......again, both have failed in the mission of bringing a quality, racer driven, financially secure, sponsor worthy product to the table. No amount of loyalty, finger pointing, or revision of history can change these simple facts.

The sport is , indeed, in jeopardy with real assaults coming from many sides. The environmentalists, wake and noise restrictions, spiraling costs, liability issues, multiple competitive sponsorship options, fatal accidents, confusing rules and many other circumstances, all represent real obstacles to overcome.
These would challenge even a single strong racing organization. The fact that, at present, no less than 3 groups are battling for the meager resources available while weakening each other in the process is an insurmountable problem for which there is no solution.

We must identify those things worth preserving lest we throw the baby out with the bath water.....again. I submit the following as "assets":

1. An eager and enthusiastic core of racers

2. The American Power Boat Association's 100 years of history and recognition by the UIM.

3. That handful of officials with wisdom and dedication as opposed to those who look only for an expense free way to attend races.

4. Mercury Marine's support

5. Powerboat Magazine's desire for a successful subject to cover.

6. The need for Performance Poker Runners to have a sport to emulate..... and to purchase products resulting from the "test conditions" .

7. An exciting spectacle if presented properly.

8. Opportunity for related industries to prosper (ranging from tee shirts to rigging shops).

9. The never before realised buzz word...potential.

Other than the above and little else........The sport has nothing...... so the two main groups have failed.

There is a chance that current negotiations can return the sport to the racers.........

There is no good outcome to be had from SBI loyalists fighting with OSS loyalists, fighting with APBA loyalists. If you are one of these "combatants"...... you are doing nothing but throwing dirt on your own graves....and on one of the few valuable things you actually have....other racers.

T2x

stevequick 04-02-2004 11:56 AM

Re: Too Old Apology Accepted

Originally posted by Too Old
Steve,

Sorry if I painted racers with a broad brush. As you know, the vocal guys get all the attention. Good and bad.

These guys are absolutely killing the sport you love.

As usual you are a gentleman. I would only add that very few of the guys I race with come here to add to the negativity. We need to make it clear to everyone that the "Vocal Minority" are not necessarily racers. And seldom do most racers agree with or engage in their narrow minded mud slinging. SQ

Shane 04-02-2004 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Orange Smoke
Let's break out the calcualtor. OSO said, they were stiffed for the deductible. So what's that, 5%?

From my perch on the seawall in St. Pete, that hole created by the Doinzi boat (that left the scene, missed a buoy while doing so, and entered the race again) looked like $50,000 - $80,000 to me.

So what are they talking about? 2 or 4 Grand? They create an explosion like this one because of 2 or 4 Grand? They don't have the wherewithal to avoid one of the worst PR disasters in the history of awful Offshore PR disasters?

If I don't have 2 or 4 Grand (what's that, half a week of gas?) to avoid such a blow-up, then I'm bancupt. Financially and morally.

Your point has no merit. It is PRINCIPLE not the dollar amount I am sure. Furthermore, if you are correct and $2-4 grand is what it is, and it is not such a big deal to you, I would GLADLY take it! Next, from a seawall, how can you estimate the dollar amount of damage?:confused:

DaveP 04-02-2004 12:51 PM

T2x - for being dubbed obsolete by the now obsolete he is a pretty smart guy :D :D

I think T2x should follow his passion and get back into doing what he loves!