Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tested a 41' Apache (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75771-tested-41-apache.html)

LPA2106 04-02-2004 06:59 PM

Tested a 41' Apache

1 Attachment(s)
...was on the West coast this week....the 41' Apache had a deposit on it when I arrived...I was allowed to "test ride it" anyways just in case the financing fell through AFTER GIVING A DEPOSIT FOR 25K...but it looked pretty much gone...well...the salesman took me out in San Diego....was in the mid 80's on Monday AND Sunny....he fired the boat up...said not to look at "what's under the hood" till after a thrilling ride...the seats are very comfortable...nice layout of gauges...the boat gave me the feeling that I definitely was in a true offshore...make a run to Catalina Island and back without any hitches ..the boat had been refreshed...new vinyl..interior etc...and then airbrushed per original specs..and kept in a garaged marina...well maintained... anyways...I hit the throttles and this thing jumped on plane...i couldn't wait to get back and see what engines were in this thing....it topped out just around 90mph or so with some reserve left ....and you could run it full bore into some decent sized waves and recover quickly.....it's the meanest ...toughest thing I have ridden behind the wheel in yet...it's the most powerful boat I have ever operated...and there is no substitute for a great design in a boat and then lots of power to get it to "dance"

My overall impression...it's a "perfect boat" ...just add "perfect power"...

...this is a picture of the engines in it...when we got back HE SHOWED ME THEY WERE TWIN V-12'S REBUILT AND OVERBORED TO PUT OUT 1200HP+ EACH ON A DYNO...

THREE THINGS THIS APACHE 41' HAD:

-GREAT HULL DESIGN AND CHARACTERISTICS
-EXCELLENT POWER AT 2400HP TOTAL
-TONS OF TORQUE
-BUILT TOUGH AS NAILS
-LOOKS GREAT
-VERY COMFORTABLE
-PRECISION HIGH SPEED TURNING

....ONLY BAD THING....WAS SOLD...WOULDN'T SAY THE PRICE...BUT CLOSE TO 200K I WOULD IMAGINE...

...IT'S THE SORT OF BOAT YOU CAN'T REALLY COMPARE TO OTHERS I THINK...IT'S A SPECIALTY KIND OF BOAT

....HERE ARE THE ENGINES (PICTURE FROM THE SHOP THAT REFRESHENED THEM)

open87 04-02-2004 07:22 PM

then you woke up????

WARPAINT 04-02-2004 07:26 PM

Re: Tested a 41' Apache

Originally posted by LPA2106
...was on the West coast this week....the 41' Apache had a deposit on it when I arrived...I was allowed to "test ride it" anyways just in case the financing fell through AFTER GIVING A DEPOSIT FOR 25K...but it looked pretty much gone...well...the salesman took me out in San Diego....was in the mid 80's on Monday AND Sunny....he fired the boat up...said not to look at "what's under the hood" till after a thrilling ride...the seats are very comfortable...nice layout of gauges...the boat gave me the feeling that I definitely was in a true offshore...make a run to Catalina Island and back without any hitches ..the boat had been refreshed...new vinyl..interior etc...and then airbrushed per original specs..and kept in a garaged marina...well maintained... anyways...I hit the throttles and this thing jumped on plane...i couldn't wait to get back and see what engines were in this thing....it topped out just around 90mph or so with some reserve left ....and you could run it full bore into some decent sized waves and recover quickly.....it's the meanest ...toughest thing I have ridden behind the wheel in yet...it's the most powerful boat I have ever operated...and there is no substitute for a great design in a boat and then lots of power to get it to "dance"

...this is a picture of the engines in it...when we got back HE SHOWED ME THEY WERE TWIN V-12'S REBUILT AND OVERBORED TO PUT OUT 1200HP+ EACH ON A DYNO...

-TONS OF TORQUE
-BUILT TOUGH AS NAILS
-LOOKS GREAT
-VERY COMFORTABLE

....ONLY BAD THING....WAS SOLD...WOULDN'T SAY THE PRICE...BUT CLOSE TO 200K I WOULD IMAGINE...

...IT'S THE SORT OF BOAT YOU CAN'T REALLY COMPARE TO OTHERS I THINK...IT'S A SPECIALTY KIND OF BOAT

90 mph or so with some reserve left?You either put it to the wood or you dont:p No such thing as reserve:D

LPA2106 04-02-2004 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
reserve meaning the engines had limiters on...and a smaller pitch prop as well...here is another engine they had for sale...rebuilt...marinized..looking for an offer...might be an awesome mate to a Pantera 28'er I was thinking...1250HP....I like the big cube/v-12 approach a lot..I know Don Johnson liked Lamborghini's in his Scarabs I believe....they do the job...I never tried out a 1200HP+ blower motor,,,but these things put speed on very predictably..no jolt or lag...like my 911

WetKitty42 04-02-2004 07:33 PM

V12's?
Gotta a picture of the boat?

PhantomChaos 04-02-2004 07:36 PM

What about all the **** about STEPS????? :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fightclub 04-02-2004 08:01 PM

Re: Tested a 41' Apache

Originally posted by LPA2106

-TONS OF TORQUE
-BUILT TOUGH AS NAILS
-LOOKS GREAT
-VERY COMFORTABLE

??????

Hum... Geez.... Sounds like a great boat;)

Send some pic's

SummerObsession 04-02-2004 08:26 PM

This is one of the most hilarious thread I've ever read!
Nice dream, wake up dude!

If I had a boat the had 2400 HP and only ran 90, I would shoot myself for ever buying something so slow.

Then again, that's just one man's opinion.;)

LPA2106 04-02-2004 08:27 PM

...dealer didn't want pics of this boat posted..so I agreed....all white...big Indian in headress on sides...and i love stepped boats....but if you have the bucks for big power this thing is a rush...and comfy in squirrelly conditions...it's just not a matter of not having steps but weight and balance....this boat is heavy in front...its made for rough..tough..stuff...possibly the heavier stepped boats are good too...I haven't tested em all..but I agreed with my boss to test 25 boats before buying one...

..I love the 42' Executioner Fountain it's a great value

..the 38 Cig TG is a favorite, never tried a stepped one..

..Pantera's rule if a a 28' is what you want

..41' Apache with big motors is pure adrenaline

..my 26' Nova ST Wellcraft T-Strokers does ok

..I need to try a 38' TG stepped...and an Apache 41' Stepped...and then an OL...though I don't have the bucks I would love to try one..

bottom line is you have to keep a broad perspective to what the boat is and the application..

..buying the right boat's 97% preparation and 3% execution..

SummerObsession 04-02-2004 08:31 PM

OH, now that you explain it................................................ .................................................. ...............
See above post.