Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Duo Cat ? Has anyone heard of one? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75851-duo-cat-has-anyone-heard-one.html)

Ironmanwb 04-04-2004 03:10 PM

Duo Cat ? Has anyone heard of one?

I found a 17 ft Duo brand Catamaran and I might be able to get it for free. I has a 115 Merc on it an is from the late 60's or early 70's. Has anyone ever seen one. I searched the net but the only Duo boat I found were Runabouts.

Any info about this would be appreciated.

formula31 04-04-2004 04:29 PM

Oh man, memories. I ran one of those in the 60's at the Marina I worked at. Scary fast and flighty and your butt is 2" off the bottom. I think we had a 115 or 105 Evinrude on it then too. Biggest there was at the time. I loved it.

formula31 04-04-2004 04:35 PM

Duo's were mostly runabouts but they did make this one cat. We had one at Grand Island Marina in Grand Island N.Y.

HyperBaja 04-04-2004 06:38 PM

Duos.... This is stretching my memory.

X15 was one of their boats, vee, the boats were great value. Windshield, did 15mph faster than competetors, and were a lot cheaper.

i think.

glassdave 04-04-2004 10:49 PM

ironman- i had my eyes on the exact same boat. there was one just down the way from our cottage on lake Erie. i vaguely remember it being in the water once when i was like 7 or so. than it sat in the same place for years until about 5 or 6 years ago it was gone (the asscoiation made him move it). if memory serves me they only made a handfull of that model. the one i saw was yellow with a black interior and a 115 OB merc. man that brings back memories, think i have a pic of it some where. if you have any please post em. very cool lookin boat, would make a great classic show piece :cool: :cool:

btw- i believe it was called the Duo Mystry ( with no e) and it was pulled from the same mold as the Starcraft

Iggy 04-05-2004 06:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A guy I grew up with had one back in the early 70's with a 115 Merc. It too was yellow with black interior.
I remember riding in the back and I could tell how much of the hull was in the water at speed......not much. It seemed like only the engine was in the water and the hull was flying. Rally cool.
I do recall that they had trouble with the transom cracking in the early years. I believe my friend returned two hulls to the dealer with cracks. Both replaced under warranty.

btw- i believe it was called the Duo Mystry ( with no e)
It was called the Duo Mystry 17.

Found this at http://www.dicksmarine.net/boat_duomystry.htm .

Ironmanwb 04-05-2004 09:31 AM

Thats the boat. In fact the boat in the picture is exactly like the one I am looking at. It has not been run since 83 and needs a new floor, steering and throttle/shift cables, seats, and some engine work. Should be about a 3-4 day project.

This has a 115 straight six merc on it. Any idea on how fast?

Iggy 04-05-2004 09:38 AM

Speed in MPH?....no idea. I think my friend said it did something like 60. But that was in the days before GPS.
But I'll tell'ya, it sure does fly. Riding in the rear it felt like the entire hull back to the rear seat was out of the water. I recall I couldn't feel any water vibrations (water hitting the hull) forward of that area.

Ironmanwb 04-05-2004 10:04 AM

Thanks Iggy

I reallly want to get this boat now with all the feedback I am getting. I have a baja 302 that does almost 70 but I think this boat will be alot of fun.

formula31 04-05-2004 12:11 PM

I was into wooden hydroplanes at that time and they felt a lot less scary than this fiberglass thing although I bet we were running at twice the speed. Id guess 60 was probably about right but felt like 200, especially at night in the Niagara River.