Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   45 Sonic v. 47 Fountain...seriously (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75901-45-sonic-v-47-fountain-seriously.html)

Downtown42 04-06-2004 12:01 PM

Looks like Reggie took his speed charts off the web site. 98 sounds high but maybe with the modifications listed.

Phantom1 04-06-2004 12:56 PM

Originally posted by BAR57
The new 47 with 525 and Sportmaster drives, Herring Props 98 mph with Generator and Air/Heat 1/2 Tank of fuel. Enclosed head and Galley. Not Bad for a large sport boat
:D :D :D

I know where that boat is headed.:D

Tested in Reggieville last Monday or Tuesday right?:D

animalhouse 04-06-2004 01:15 PM

Two Things,

Un Ortho Docs, in case you were confused here is the order for the 1st leg of the Sarasota run
1) XXX (OL)
2) Hammer Down ( formerly known as Can You Hear Me Now?) (OL)
3) Full House (OL)

4) Apache Heritage (Apache)

5) Us (Animal House) (OL)

Second, The Sonic pictured is a new 46. According to Powerboat Mag. W/ 1200 cobra's it stuggled to hit 100.

Did anybody concider the 51 OL, there are 2 good used ones on the market right now. Both w/ 1200 sterlings run 110 +

Jamie B. 04-06-2004 06:17 PM

Originally posted by animalhouse
The Sonic pictured is a new 46. According to Powerboat Mag. W/ 1200 cobra's it stuggled to hit 100.
yeah, good point. Sonic's have never been thought of as having a slippery V hull. Sonic had quality issues as a whole in the early/mid 90's, but I havent heard anything bad since then. In my opinion:

* Ride quality goes to Sonic
* Speed goes to Fountain
* Dash layout goes to Fountain
* Cockpit comfort goes to Fountain
* Amenities goes to Sonic
* Cabin space goes to Sonic
* Build quality - tie
* Dock WoW factor goes to Fountain
* Factory support - open / tie

RJ1340 04-06-2004 08:07 PM

FeverMike,
I appreciate your input here, but after your first sentence I can't tell what you are saying. You like the build quality on the Sonic better?
I've been on both and the cushions are pretty similar. They all use just about the same marine grade closed cell foam, so if one's more comfortable its more due to design. Maybe if you run it through spell check before you sending, it would be a little clearer. Just a suggestion.

OU Want Some?!! 04-06-2004 10:05 PM

animal, great statistics! any of the top 5 have 525s and run all day on 87? Oh yeah, ask Bloom in the 51
OT about us, ask perfect storm...

ot

Jamie B. 04-07-2004 10:03 AM

Originally posted by un ortho docs
animal, great statistics! any of the top 5 have 525s and run all day on 87?
I dont have a dog in this pony show but . . .

what does the above have to do with who came in first on the 1st leg of the Sarasota run :confused: ? I'm sure that there where hi powered Fountains on that run too, no ?

45sonic 04-07-2004 12:36 PM

I have owned both boats. Sonic is a good riding boat with good amenities. Quality can use some help, but that depends on the day or year the boat was built. It does have hard cabin cushions but I found the cockpit ones to be comfortable. My biggest complaint against Sonic is the lack of imagination for the cabin design. Same layout in the 1995 vs. the 2003. They have in recent years changed the v-berth entrance and the new lay up process.
I never even looked at ther Fountain, just wasn't interested.
Now I have the 47 SC and love it. The layout is similar to the Sonic's cabin but the seat and v-berth cushions are much easier on the body. Much more storage than the Sonic and the galley is much nicer. As far as quality. The Fountain takes it. Speed wise is just going to depend on your personal choice of engines. Fountain has always been faster across the board but give Sonic time. With no step and a heavier boat it still moves out.

We could debate this all day long. It comes down to individual preferences.

I like both boats and would purchase another Sonic but will stay with my Fountain for now.

animalhouse 04-07-2004 01:28 PM

Un Ortho Docs,

Not discounting you, your boat, or your run, just pointing out that you claimed to have passed all of us, but I failed to see that.

In fact, your boat looks, runs, and sound great & I have nothing against it or you. I am not interested in Bloom in the 51, or Perfect Storm. Not trying to start a pissing match at all, just clearing something up.

Downtown42 04-07-2004 01:30 PM

Animal has a valid point. I am dissappointed that there were no Fountains in the top 5 to the first stop. OL owns the bragging rights at the Sarasota 04 period. Most poker runs with big hardware that I run, IT IS A RACE to the first stop. Generally everyone is going to run hard or WOT to the first stop. I will measure my run by how many boats are ahead of me and how many are behind at the first stop. After the first card stop, everyone knows who is who and enough said. Therefore, the rest of the run is maybe 80-90% WOT to preserve the delicate hardware we all have.

Ortho doc: your boat is mint and you have shown the performance Fountain is cabable of. Now just drop some triple 1200's in there so I won't be dissappointed next time. And I still don't like your rear bolsters!!:D ;) DT