Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ...a note about spinouts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75959-note-about-spinouts.html)

LPA2106 04-05-2004 08:42 PM

...a note about spinouts

I don't want to re-open a can of worms...for sure..

...I talked to a guy today who has been associated with hydroplane racing and has a vintage boat.

..I asked him about spin outs in stepped vs. non stepped boats...his take

...his reply is that if you keep the props deep enough in the water a spin out is much less likely no matter what hull design..because the prop is in there digging into those turns..he felt that when you go to high x-dimensions and virtually run a surface type prop the likely hood of a spin out is far greater in a very fast turn...

..the older v-hulls happened to run trs drives at conventionally low x-dimensions..and the stepped hulls incorporate higher x-dimensions...could explain why we see more spin-outs..

...if you order a boat will manufacturers let you "play" with x-dimensions> ?? My guess is no but maybe some do...

...his feeling is that a possible good compromise is a somewhat lower x-dimension with extension boxes for more leverage..

...also boats that run "straight lines" for hitting top speeds push the envelope to the max with high x-dimensions but one turn and you are out of the boat...

....hope this is helpful..

Griff 04-05-2004 09:10 PM

Helpful??????
It is not really correct:confused:

On a step bottom, you need to be trimmed up somewhat so the hull grabs the water evenly. All boats are different and need different amounts of trim for best turning performance.

Griff 04-05-2004 09:12 PM

Also, there is a search function that can give you access to all the info you would ever desire on pretty much any topic you can think of.

glassdave 04-05-2004 09:53 PM

LPA- what is your previous boating expierance. boats that you have owned that lead you up to the performance boat you are seeking? just cusious, i notice you are looking at several different types.

ragtop409 04-05-2004 11:22 PM

OMG

packinair 04-06-2004 01:44 AM

have you started a cat vs v hull thread yet?:rolleyes:

mcollinstn 04-06-2004 08:22 PM

Of course you can MAKE anything spin out.

We used to run my Wellcraft Nova 210XL wide open, trim her half way down, Yank off the throttle, spin the wheel full lock and hammer the juice.

Ka SPLOOSH !!!

Instant violent insane bone crushing spinout.
The third or fourth time we did it (screaming and laughing with tears running down our cheeks) the battery hit the motor so hard, it broke the case open and spewed acid all over the place.

Had to make a super mega battery hold down device that would make Aronow proud.

That kept the battery in place fairly well. Before long, we tore the motor mounts clean out of the stringers.

After paying to have new stringers glassed in, we decided to leave that stunt on the "short list" to do only every so often. The next stunt we would do was to wait until we had four guys on the nose, hanging their legs off the side of the boat, straddling the bow rail stanchions. Then we would run along about 40 and drop her into a turn hard enough to put the rubrail underwater, pinning the screaming bow sitters' legs against the hull of the boat.

The windshield had wing vents that opened OUT. We could sit a girl in the passenger bucket and drop her side so far over that it would "Spatula" out a 6 inch thick serving of 40mph water right into her face. Usually knocked them out of the seat.

Good stuff.

But that doesn't address the fact that a step hull is "more apt" to spin ACCIDENTALLY than other popular hull types.

It's not a criticism. It is a byproduct of their design.

that's all.

SOX 04-06-2004 09:02 PM

Note to self....

Never buy a boat previously owned by mcollinstn...

Note taken... ;)

Allan4 04-06-2004 09:18 PM

Hehehe...:D :D :D

Good note;)

mcollinstn 04-07-2004 11:53 PM

There was never a lot of my old boats left to sell when I was done with them.

My old Whaler was of course still in good condition. All the wave jumping with the 33 Evinrude had broken the starter and alternators off of it, so you had to pull start it. And the wicked hammering it endured finaly did start cracking the nose off of it around the weak spots around the oarlocks. I traded it even for a Husqvarna 250CR motocrosser in 1974.

The next boat (15' Marlin outboard) had three transoms in it, the last one with a huge 2x8 glassed all the way across from side to side. It ended up tearing big wide open cracks at the gunwales where they met up with the motor well, and I figured it would break in half right there fro the pounding. I was wrong. A huge bunch of skyshots ripped the stringers loose at the hull/transon joint and the entire bottom of the boat ripped loose at the transom and it tried to sink. Was pretty odd. The whole hull shape changed from concave to convex at the rear, with the transom sticking down spooning water into the boat. The whole floor in the boat was up against the bottom of the motor well where the hull inderneath was "inside out". 20 mph was the speed at which the water coming in was going back out at about the same speed. We ran it all the way to my house, and just drove it right up on shore (knocked a little chunk out of the lower unit of the V6 Merc). When it went up on shore, instead of the motor kicking up, it just went ahead and tore the transom the rest of the way off, hinging it up near the top on one side, and completely off on the other. I scabbed it back together and tried to sell it as a boat/trailer combo for $400. Ended up chainsawing the boat into pices that would fit in a dumpster and gave the trailer away.

The Wellcraft is still around and runs fine. A friend of my sister's owns it. Still has the world war 3 grade battery brackets.

16' 100mph padvee boat went through a set of stringers from high speed wake attacks, and is in a barn in need of another stringer-ectomy.

Believe it or not, I've never been able to get any air in my cruiser. And it doesn't turn well enough to do anything worthy of excitement.

The Formula, though, has seen a LOT of airtime. Lots of trimmed-up time it just right launches off big cruiser wakes with those eye-opening near vertical landings. Man, how I LOVE those... One of my photog friends swears he has a roll of slides he took out one day that has a shot out the back of the boat on one of those. Says the expressions on some girl's face and the long way from the back of the boat to the spot where the boat wake "departs" the water are just too cool.

But that boat has nary a squeak or rattle. Solid boat.

And, no, I've never felt that it was suitable to spin it on purpose. It WILL, though, corner very well.

Other than wake launching, the only other thing I do is I will run along and cram one K plane all the way down and put the boat on a crazy angle and then turn. Passengers can't decide which way is worse: on the low side with the whole lake right there at chest level OR on the high side a MILE above the low side.

I like it both ways....