Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Going to Konrad Drives (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75985-going-konrad-drives.html)

jody165 04-06-2004 03:02 PM

Biggus, while you are there can you find out where they got those carbon fiber valve covers on their display engine. I think the engines were loaned from some engine shop but maybe you can investigate and let us know.

Love carbon fiber.

MrCIG 04-06-2004 05:05 PM

Kurt, Can't wait to hear the results.

Where in Wisconsin are they located?

Have a good trip.

Mark

Poorsche 04-07-2004 06:22 AM

I saw the Konrad guys at boat show also and am looking at the drives for replacements to my TRS drives. I got some negative feedback about them from a couple of performance shops in Miami regards reliability---althought they did say warranty performance was great.

From what techrep said they are direct bolt-on replacements for TRS.

After plant visit--what did you think about drives, components, engineering testing, etc?

I've got an '87 SR357 and drives got cooked from electrolysis action from boat parked next to me in marina.

Bill Miller aka Poorsche

hp500efi 04-07-2004 06:34 AM

Mr. Cig....they are located up in Hudson WI...kinda across the river from the Twin Cities.

Kurt, there is a good little restaurant "Dick's Bar & Grille" in dowtown Hudson that has some very good burgers...and cold beer.

And as Troutly said, if the ice is off the river, you should be able to walk down to the water and nose around if you are looking to kill some time.

dyno 04-07-2004 06:53 AM

Originally posted by Poorsche
. I got some negative feedback about them from a couple of performance shops in Miami regards reliability---althought they did say warranty performance was great.

Bill Miller aka Poorsche

I dont follow either they stand up well or not...

C_Spray 04-07-2004 07:38 AM

Originally posted by jody165
Biggus, while you are there can you find out where they got those carbon fiber valve covers on their display engine. I think the engines were loaned from some engine shop but maybe you can investigate and let us know. Love carbon fiber.
Those are Innovation 572/720's. You can call Innovation at (941) 756-4337. Rick LaMore or Dave Stiff will be the guys.

Or try here:
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/valvecovers.html

Hi-Tech Marine 04-07-2004 09:16 AM

Direct TRS conversion? I am interested... and impressed!

Biggus 04-07-2004 09:30 AM

Poorsche, you have been given some bad info. Until now these drives have been only available to governments, Navy SEAL and police boats. They have proven to be extremely reliable under some very adverse conditions. Many have 1500 hrs or so without failure of any kind. I'd guess the Miami shops you spoke to would like to keep selling you the Merc stuff over and over.

Hi-Tech, yes they will be offered as a direct bolt-on to a TRS transom assembly. From what I am told the only part that needs to be swapped out is the transom assy drive bellhousing. The reason for this is the Konrad drive has a much larger u-joint and also uses a bravo style drive lube coupler.

I'm very excited about this trip. I hope to be testing my boat sometime next week.

Kurt :cool:

Boomer 880 04-07-2004 09:55 AM

The guy at WPM racing was rigging a deck boat with Konrads over a year ago (F and Perfom. Boat Mag. covered this). I saw this in his shop.

Unfortunately, the owner crashed the boat and trailer on the way to the lake. He had BIG HP in front of the drive. You might want to check with WPM to see if they ever fixed the boat and hit the water.

This is the only HP application that I know of for Konrad. However, they are very anxious to get their drives on some HP boats!

No one should be surprised that someone's competition gave out bad information... they are trying to sell their stuff and will go out of their way to discourage anyone who is shopping for new ideas. Not my way to sell, but...

Poorsche 04-07-2004 01:23 PM

TRS Replacement with Konrad 520

FYI--my TRS drives got eaten up from electrolysis created by home-made houseboat next to me in marina.

I've been researching this with Rich and others at Konrad and truley seems like it is a "plug and play" replacement. They said it may be wise to buy thier beefed-up gimbal ring which will directly go into the mercruiser/TRS gimbal housing.

I'll be gald to share some of the emails I've gotten if anyone is interested.

We need to negotiate an OSO group discount of retail price of $8k per drive.

poorsche