Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Extreme Marine swim platform on older Cig's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/76055-extreme-marine-swim-platform-older-cigs.html)

Monty 04-07-2004 09:39 AM

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

I don't have external hydraulic steering yet, that's on next's winters list of "to do's". Hopefully the swim platform won't prevent me from adding it. I don't think it should since the TRS drives are mounted so low. The top of the gimble plates are 7" below the rub rail.

The ladder is retractable. I bought it from Extreme, but someone else makes it. It's a pretty good design and fit the platform well. It telescopes out and folds down, and has a botton lock at the bottom of one of the legs to hold it in place when it's up. It's bolted to the underside of the middle support brackets. My only suggestion would be to use stainless nyloc nuts rather than standard stainless nuts.

I'll have to double check the tubing OD.

Havasu Cig 04-07-2004 12:53 PM

We mounted our's about level with the outer corners of the rubrail. We also through bolted everywhere possible.

GLH 04-07-2004 01:03 PM

The Factory puts them a little high look around on pictures.
Lip-Ship puts them a little lower which makes it easier to get in and out of the water. I like it lower. Had it hi on the Cafe and the Tiger now has it a little lower.

Monty 04-07-2004 06:24 PM

Hi-Tech Marine,

The main tubing is 1.5" OD, and the middle oval shaped extruded tubes are roughly 1.75" x .75", and the rear, optional grab rail is 1.25" OD.

Hi-Tech Marine 04-07-2004 06:47 PM

Thanks Monty, thats what I ordered. I am building my own and was afraid the 1.5" would be to large. I am going 1.25" on the ladder portion.

I am power coating the tubing and ordered the oval in a polished bright finish to have the center in polished aluminum. Mainly for adding a dimensional look to the platform.
just havent decided on a solid plate between top and bottom or going with the round mounting plates.

They definately compliment the looks of the boat.

This is more of a personal project. Looks like something fun to build and I will enjoying knowing I built it every time it is used.

GLH 04-07-2004 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry pics were on the home laptop

Lip Ship Edition Set up;

GLH 04-07-2004 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Standard set up;

GLH 04-07-2004 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When your running it's still out and it's easier to get back in when swimming.

Monty 04-07-2004 08:42 PM

Hi-Tech Marine,

I'm a "do-it-yourself kinda' guy" too, and a fair TIG welder (check out my 1200hp twin turbo SBC 427 Corvette in my signature), but I'm running out of time before boating season starts, so I just bit the bullet and had Extreme make the platform for me. They did a very nice job, and it's hard to beat a 2 week turn around time. But if I hadn't undertaken so many projects with the boat this winter, I would have probably done it myself too.

GLH,

Thanks for the pictures, very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Hi-Tech Marine 04-07-2004 09:14 PM

yes they do great work.
PS ..... nice vette project