Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who dislikes blow-boats... and why (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/76244-who-dislikes-blow-boats-why.html)

mopower 04-11-2004 10:58 AM

Snail boat races make great slalom courses:D :D :D

I did manage to "convert" my neighbor in back to a powerboater:cool:
Now I'm working on my Dr. He really got me last fall when he topped off his tank and used 5 gallons of diesel FOR THE SEASON:eek: :crazy:

Comanche3Six 04-11-2004 11:58 AM

The sail boat guys I encounter can't stand Offshore Powerboats, and go out of their way to show it. Their comments at the launch ramp "Hey, can you shut that thing off until I am underway....It's noisey!" Always get a smart answer from me. If you don't like the sound of a supercharged BBC with wet Gil Offshore exhaust, then I have no use for you.

florida gator 04-11-2004 06:30 PM

Oops. Should have read this before voting. Around hear blow boats are also known as air boats. What a rush running 70+ in under 4" of water. Or reaching a dike and being able to go around.

BonnieOutlaw 04-11-2004 07:33 PM

Hubby and I took a trip around Lake Ontario 2 summers ago. When we got to Niagara on the Lake, the only marina on the Canadian side was full of blow boats. They gave us the crappiest slip in the marina...you know the one - a million miles away from the "club house" and not protected from the wakes of other boats. We were the only powerboat there. They let us stay in that slip overnight. We got to talk to quite a few of them, and partied with them the first night. They were actually nice people with many of the same appreciations, being outdoors, the sun on your face, the wind in your hair...just normal people...and once they figured out we were nice people, they moved us to the BEST dock.

I can't say as I blame them....but it was nice to blow their stereotype away and move past it.

rouxsterre 04-11-2004 09:22 PM

I'll put it this way - in terms of tides and currents, wind and waves, navigation, and survival - the average sailboater will have it ALL OVER the average powerboater. They are, by and large, the better mariner.

Just my opinion.

Comanche3Six 04-11-2004 10:22 PM

I knew there was something else that bothered me about them.

Reed Jensen 04-11-2004 11:43 PM

Here is something scary that was on the news... and it involves tree huggers... Because of better farming and fertilizers... there are actually more acres of forest now than there were in the 1920's... but the greenies don't want people to know that ... if it became common knowledge that we have replanted and managed forests so well that they have grown back..... their donations would drop and they would have to get real jobs.... Honest to god.... it was on a television program the other day.... I about had a cow. The interviewer went on about why didn't the "greenies" tell the people the true condition of our forests... his reply... well... we don't want the good work to stop... and if people knew that unneeded farmland had been allowed to return to native Forest.. then they would not be able to get the message out about saving forest land.... in other words.... they would have to get a real job.... even the interviewer slapped the guy in the face about their tactics and the "greenie" just sat there and babbled more bull****.

Reed Jensen 04-11-2004 11:55 PM

Enviro-wackos are at the top of my list for people that piss me off.... There was a vocal group of jerks that were trying to get the BLM to drain Lake Powell and restore Glen Canyon to it's original state.... Someone asked them about the loss of the "clean" electricity that the dam generated and their "Spokesperson" stated... " with proper conservation the electricity wouldn't be needed"..... Well.... I'm all for natural beauty in the scenery.... but why don't we start with their house... I propose we bulldoze their house and plant chaparral and return THEIR land to it's natural habitat.... Let them sleep at the curb and admire THEIR own little piece of nature... That is the worst thing about these bastards... all this conservation and tree hugging is great in principle... but I doubt any of them would impose it upon themselves. These idiots staged a rally in Page Arizona and were just about run out of town on a rail... Page exists only because the town was built for people while the dam was being built.... 99 percent of Glen canyon is inaccessible without the lake and a boat. WHAT IS THE POINT OF PRESERVING SOMETHING IF NO ONE CAN ENJOY IT?

CBR 04-12-2004 12:46 AM

Sailboaters get along just fine with me. Nearly all wave, several have had me out on their boats, one inducted me into his yacht club, and I just don't get the sail vs power argument. All have been interested in my boat too. Maybe NY and Florida sail and power boaters are just more laid back than the rest of the country?

Confession: I plan to get a sailing Mirage pedal kayak to carry on my Sonic, nothing wrong with liking sailing AND high performance boating.

Reed Jensen 04-12-2004 12:58 AM

If you've ever been a sailor... then you can appreciate some of the work it takes to go 8 mph... and you have an understanding about some of the weird things that they do....