Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who dislikes blow-boats... and why (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/76244-who-dislikes-blow-boats-why.html)

dyno 04-12-2004 04:37 AM

I have only one problem with the rag baggers....they always ***** about us stick pots and every time I see one out on the lake the sails are down and they are basically power boating. "REAL" sailers are OK with me but I cant find any....

BonnieOutlaw 04-12-2004 06:41 AM

Troutly...good point. In my area anyway, we have a HUGE lake. I don't quite understand why people in powerboats don't give sail boats more room. After all, 9.5 times out of 10, you're just running for the thrill anyway, so why not go 1/4 of a mile out to be sure not to disturb them? It's just a courtesy thing.

And guess what...they remember you, they remember your boat. We get a full five finger wave from our blow boat neighbors.

As a matter of fact, our offshore club and joined with the local blow boat club and started an annual Regata. It's probably more of a PR thing...but not a bad idea. We all obviously have something in common.

Indy 04-12-2004 09:28 AM

Troutly...your points are well taken.

Let's face it, our boats are loud, disrupting, and will evoke strong emotions in those want quiet enjoyment of their property or vessel. That emotion is amplified when one of us comes too close to another vessel when a simple turn of the wheel would have given a wider berth to it. It's called consideration. If a sail boat tacks or jibes in front of you causing you to take evasive action, you were too close to begin with. In any event, all you have to do is turn the wheel, it's not hard to do. I just happen to like the sound of a big block, but I also like peace and quiet at times, and I can understand the frustrations of those who find it disrupting. Much of what Troutly is referencing could be avoided by using our muffler systems if so equiped in certain areas, idling out of a tight channel or harbor with one engine, giving wide berth to other vessels, and just being considerate. I wave to most other boats just because I'm so frickin happy to be out on the water, most of them wave back, those who don't won't get a reaction out of me. Most of those sail boaters that don't wave or give the one finger salute have been harrased by an irresponsible powerboater in the past, you'd be mad too!! I see the reactions of many on this board when they are harrased by jet skis or "lake lice" as they're more commonly known, it's the same emotion that some sail boaters have with some of us. Yes there are old crotchity smelly sailors that hate powerboaters more than anything, but who cares...

Rippem 04-26-2004 12:17 AM

I have been sailing two or three times. The last time I got invited to go on a fall sail across Lake Ontario and up into the Bay of Quinte. These are a bunch of sailboaters who have known each other and have sailed together (and partied together) for years. Professionals from here at the hospital, business owners and one really cool gal. Seven people, three sailboats, five days. A TON of beer/spirits, fantastic food (iceboxes full of homemade salads and fresh meat for grillin'). WHAT A GREAT F**CKIN" TIME! I was aboard with a guy who sails around Lake Ontario alone . He's not havin' fun unless there's a gale wind and 8'+ waves. Sailing is very technical...the setup changes constantly...therein lies the challenge and reward! Under moonlit skies rafted off full of grilled steaks and all...(like 6 or 7 course meals) w/wine and the whole bit. The two musicians (longtime players in local bands) played giutar and sang on deck in the moonlight, as the rest of us talked, drank and otherwise enjoyed *mother nature* w/our wine. Five days livin' like this...I was so decompressed (and yes a little ripe...but a calm ripe) after my five days with these super friendly and talented people, at that pace...I almost couldn't get "ramped up" to go back to work! WHAT A GREAT F**CKIN' TIME!!! I consider myself enlightened to the benefits of that pace, and the peace that they enjoy. ;) Now... back to our regularly scheduled go-fast programming....:D

Rippem 04-26-2004 12:22 AM

BTW...John and I raced the other two boats on this trip more than once, with and without good wind...and won every damn time! :D Winning at 5 or 6 knots is still winning . It was cool. ;)

Reed Jensen 04-26-2004 12:43 AM

OH yeah... sailing can be lots of fun with the right crowd.... I know flapping along at 8 or 9 mph may seem slow.... but it's free...... and with a good crew there is fun just cruising along at a slow speed... :D

29mirage 04-26-2004 07:18 AM

Blow boaters figure that since the wind is for free, everything else should be also!!!
:D :D

RonS 04-26-2004 08:38 AM

Everyone has a right to enjoy the waters both sailboaters and powerboaters. How many of you that bash the sailboater have actually sailed and felt the power of the wind moving you, slicing through the waves without the noise of a motor taking away from the natural surroundings around you.

So what do you say guys, lay off the sailboat bashing and try to get along with your fellow yachtsman. We can learn from each other.

So yes I like blowboaters and I don't ever want them to go away.

Besides, my business is shrinkwrapping and alot of blowboaters want to save money by storing outside, without them I would'nt have as much gas money.:)

check freak 04-26-2004 09:02 AM

I was luckily enough to be brought into boating at a very young age. In fact, I was almost born on our boat. This means that I have been enjoying the water for 26 years. My dad had 7 sailboats before he bought his first power boat. Power boats = more space and ammenties for a young child. By the way, I know how to sail. I am currently on my first boat that I owe, and plan to owe many more in the future.

Every boater needs to use common sence when boating. Yes, this means following the rules of the road. If you haven't noticed that in every marina we are the minority. In my opinion, we should act accordingly and show respect to everyone. So we don't have anymore redicolous regulations put upon us.

Clay Washington 04-26-2004 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Troutly
Makes no difference to me. People have a right to enjoy the water on any conveyance they want :)
Ditto! :D