Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GM Vortec 6000 Can it do the job? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/76456-gm-vortec-6000-can-do-job.html)

cgarrett 04-12-2004 07:58 AM

GM Vortec 6000 Can it do the job?

I have been casually looking at new Chevy/GMC HD 2500 trucks and I'm wondering if the 6.0 with the 4.10 gears can get the job done.

I am real borderline with the boat and trailer weight at around 10,000 lbs and this number is around the max trailer weight in the book.

Anyone towing around this weight with one of these motors? Fill me in on how it performs and if you would do it again if given the chance.

Most of my towing is on flat land and I'm currently using a 99 GMC 1 ton (not a dually) with a 7.4 (454)

Thanks,
Cordell

Hi-Tech Marine 04-12-2004 08:42 AM

Cordell, I have used the 2500HD with the 6.0 and with the 8.1L Vortec's.

The 6.0 with the 4.1 gears will pull the boat although will be out of over drive on hills. Overall, this engine /gear combo will give lower economy than the 8.1 with the 3.73 axle ratio.

THe 8.1L that I am currently using is a torque monster. It likes to be loaded and seems to continue to make power on demand. Itow alot from OH to FL & NC going through mountains with 6% + grades (I75) and from TN to AshvilleNC. I am up to 26K miles since December in towing miles logged (28 to 42 foot boats & Stacks of trailers up to 14K lbs in total stack weight).

overall, the 8.1L with the 3.73 gears is a awesome tow vehicle with the best economy loaded & Unloaded. It is really hard to compare the 7.4 to the 8.1.

Bottom line, go with the cubic inches.

If you are getting serious about a vehicle, we are ordering (at this point) 3 of the GMC Pro-Grade trucks (2 3500 and 1 2500HD) all with the 8.1L engines. These truck will have the small GMC Pro-Grade offshore racing logo's on them. Let me know and we can get you into the group promotional pricing through GMC Powertrain- Vortec engines. Studebaker GMC (Scott Studebaker) in Richmond, IN is the Pro-Grade administrator for handling the GM Powertrain (Vortec)discounts. The GMC Pro-grade program does include diesel applications as well although does not include the Vortec Powertrain division contribution.

If you prefer Chevy's ... we are setting up Jeff Layton (Lynn Layton Chevrotlet) - a Formula owner - for the Chevy Vortec program. The certificates come directly from GM and must be signed by an officer of GM.

PS: I have no monetary gain from this program other than enjoying the same discounts. Although I am supporting GM in their marine sponsorship program to even include trailer discounts with new trucks.

This is also a great way to let GMC know we all appreciate their support in Offshore racing.

gmhdfan 04-12-2004 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Troutly
I'd take Bill's advice and pay for the upgrade to the 8100 and Allison trans :)

People often times get to the top of a hill and say, "Gee, I wish I would have had a bit more power."

I doubt you'll be saying this with this package towing that load :)

Yea, but that is a $$$$ option. If your not towing full time, the 6.0 and 4L80E tranny will work just fine. And if you use 4WD low it will walk anything out of a steep boat ramp. Order it without the Onstar and that will knock some money off also.

Nykamp 04-12-2004 09:21 AM

I used to pull one of my 36 apaches with a 6 liter and it was okay. I got a duramax for my next 36 and what a difference, I pulled that 36 right thru the rockys on the way home from vegas with ease. I am getting a new 2004 dually crew cab tomarrow to pull my customers boats aswell as my next boat, and it will have the duramax and alison again. The 8100 with 373s is also avery good setup the 6 liter is a complete gas hog, I can get 13 mpg hualing 15000#'s the 6 liter gets 10 empty. I a have a cherry 2002 crew cab gmc 2500 that is loaded with leather and duramax and the allison trans. black with graphite int. for $34,900. New trucks are great.Steve

dyno 04-12-2004 09:27 AM

I pull my Sonic 7000lbs + and the trailer with a 6 litre no problem I have 410 gears. DONT pull in over drive ever with a GM truck unless you like to buy trannies.

Sydwayz 04-12-2004 09:31 AM

I agree with just about all above. Do not order/get the Onstar. Waste of money and you will not use it. Everyone under the sun has a cell phone nowadays.

Also, go Big Block or go home. I have the 8.1, and while it sucks some gas mated to the 4L85E in my 2500 Avalanche, it is also a power monster. The Allison and a lighter foot will save you some gas mileage as opposed to my setup, as will 3.73s if you so choose, but I would go for 4.10s.

Its been said on here before, and I like repeating it:

"There is no such thing as too much truck."

10K pounds of boat.
Then fill the tanks, add in your tools, anchor, etc. Then, add 4 people in the truck, and all your weekend gear.
Can't forget beer for the weekend too. You are now talking an additional 3K pounds of total payload.
You are going to be overloaded for what you want to be doing. Think about how pissed you will be (every time) because you could not pass that 18 Wheeler before the median went away and you dropped down to a 2 lane road from 4.

Don't be like a buddy of mine that towed his 32 Sunsation (single) from FL to VA with a 5.3 GMC, and had to leave the windows down the whole time in the dead of summer, as the truck could not handle towing the boat with the A/C on. His two friends in the truck will never let him live that trip down for the rest of his life. :D :D

Team V 04-12-2004 09:45 AM

I've been hearing horror stories about gas milage with the 8.1/ Allison.... maybe your getting better milage down the highway, but as a daily driver I'm hearing 7 mpg?

I could never part with my big block dually for towing.... I buy $1K cars to beat around to work and back.

Sydwayz 04-12-2004 09:54 AM

2002 Avalanche 2500 with 4SPEED AUTO 4L85E, (not the 5spd Auto Allison, so this is not a perfect comparision); 4:10 rear, lighter, wider wheels, slightly bigger tires (245 to 265), true dual exhaust, K&N intake; 19K miles...

10.4 daily driving no matter what. Highway it will do better than that, but that is what my $3K Mazda is for.

BTW, I trust the opinions and information found here on OSO, especially about trucks and towing, moreso than sites like www.pickuptruck.com and www.thedieselstop.com, etc. I read about these 700hp/1100lb/ft tq, Duramaxs, PSDs, and CTD, and Big Block this and that. Truth be known, many, (not all), but many NEVER tow a thing with their truck. Maybe a garden tractor or something. Take what you read here pretty close to truth, at least about towing, as most of us here, really use a truck as get this....

a truck. (Yes Troutly, even those of us with Avalanches.)
;) :p :D

Hi-Tech Marine 04-12-2004 09:58 AM

Team V.... you are probably hearing close to correct on the 8.1/4.10 axle package. This is designed for towing HEAVY loads.

New, I was seeing 9mpg - unloaded. Synthetic oil and now with 25K miles / 664hrs I am seeing 11.2 mpg unloaded @ 75mph and 13.6 @55mph. The engine is just now starting to get broken in.

I recently pulled a 42 Fountain from Houston to FL. Got 9.2mpg.

The 8.1/Allison/3.73 axle on the 2500hd has the same hitch tow rating. I am hearing 16 to 18 mpg on this combo. Someone on here has the 8.1/3.73 package ..... I am sure. The engine like to produce low end power and loves to cruise on this combo at 1800 rpm.

Hi-Tech Marine 04-12-2004 10:50 AM

Probably should be a different thread ????

I have received several PM's on the program so here's how it works.

Note: We should have approved soon the following in addition to the Standard GMC HD Trucks.... 3500HD, 8.1 or Diesel, Allison Trans, 4.1 Ratio, True class V hitch, 15,000 hitch tow rating (Allison /GMC Pro-Grade Series). This will assist in insurance liability, warranty issues and match the rating of our "Allison" hi-tech trailers for offshore high performance boats.

1) Contact me with you contact information by PM or Email. I will contact GM for certificate approval and subsequent issue to administrating dealer. (Up to 2 weeks required) [email protected]

2) during this period select vehicle and which options you want .

3) make initial contact with dealer - dealer will usually contact you.

4) order vehicle and take delivery.

GMC Vehicles will have the Pro-Grade Offshore racing logo on them. Vortec vehicles (Chevy/GMC) will have the Vortec logo on them.

Of course thank GM Vortec for their support in ofshore racing....