What is happening to my paint?? >

What is happening to my paint??

Notices

What is happening to my paint??

Old 04-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MitchStellin
It looks like possible moisture in the paint. If you leave it covered too long it will cloud the paint. Does it go away at all over time in the sun?
Cant really tell from the pic..but....looks like that to me
also
Old 04-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the cover off all day and it was quite windy today...so I would think that if it was moisture that it would have dried out....it almost looks like something had a reaction or something....I dont know what to think......
Old 04-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

it's possible that when your boat was painted due to the multiple colors that the "window" for bonding of the base and clear was lost. usually when doing alot of colors and it can not be cleared that same day that is a typical result. a easy way to understand what happened is if you take your truck and reclear without sanding that's what will happen , clear will delaminate -there is no chemical bond . you can not sand the basecoat to achive adhesion. after the "window" closes what we do with projects requiring multiple colors and not having the time to clear in the window we will use a product by DuPONT called 222. it is a mid coat adhesion promotor that will give the base the properties to accept the clear. we have a custom guy "KAL SMITH" who does alot of lettering and real trick paint work here in new orleans and uses 222 on everything, even glass. doing it for years and no delamination problems. it's a good chance that your paint will develop this in other areas this may not be what you want to read , but i am a certified refinisher and "have seen it all". good luck and if the boat is new i would be on my way to the factory for a strip and new paint. best of luck....

eric
Old 04-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Registered

Ugh.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Registered

That makes sense open72, I would say not only do you know what your talking about, you are right. I bet it is hard to keep the coats wet to bond, I never thought of that, I bet it is an art. I learned something new today.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally posted by d-hlaw
Rich,
who painted your boat?? I also had some problems with my paint on the Top Gun that required taking off the clear and starting over...... at my expense!!
Brett....I believe Dave Hunter painted it but I am not certain about that....if I could get someone from National to return my calls I would have a better idea....I have spoke with Neil Hernandez at Cigarette today and he reassured me that he would do what was necessary to take care of this....I am very disappointed to say the least....and I have been told the same thing that open72 posted, by someone else...but I have a hard time believing that Dave Hunter or whoever did the paint work did not know this also...it is a beautiful job, but I just cant seem to catch a break when it comes to stuff like this..........

Last edited by Spitfire1; 04-14-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:11 PM
LPA2106

Here are the 3 things that may have happened and a bit of an explanation...

* Insufficient clear coat film build
* Insufficient UV blockers in clear coat
* Surface primer was not applied over the e-coat

The e-coat, (first layer of paint coating) is extremely susceptible to ultra violet rays. When UV's penetrate through the clear coat and base coat, they are normally stopped by the surface primer.

E-coats "oxidize" or "chalk" very quickly when exposed to UV rays. This creates a "powdery" condition. The base coat and clear coat no longer have a clean, firm surface to adhere to. Over time the base coat / clear coat detaches from the e-coat, resulting in this condition.

ON cars the concern may also take place if the collision repair shop (body shop) fails to properly prepare the various paint surfaces or uses substandard material. I am sure not the case here. Although humidity can affect the process..

Refinishing of the affected panels is the only concern resolution.

...some auto manufacturers have recalled because of this...a manufacturing problem with the paint products used...so I would think that getting the paint manufacturer involved makes good sense and investigate if others who had boats painted with that "lot number" had similar problems...difficult but possible I would think...so you should at least get new paint products supplied by courtesy if nothing else and I would hope labor costs associated with a new paint job as well...it's not your fault ...be sure of that....sorry to hear about that...I had a similar problem with an automobile...after some meetings with management they covered a new paint job...nothing short of that will work...

additionally...This photo shows clearly the failure of the clearcoat. Notice the "white" areas. This is "dead" clearcoat. By the term "dead" we mean that the resin system which is the binder and film former of the clearcoat is coming apart. It is detaching from the base coat, which is the color of the vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails What is happening to my paint??-cf.gif  

Last edited by LPA2106; 04-14-2004 at 07:54 PM.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love DuPont 222... that stuff is like spraying thin glue... I can get urethane to stick to cured epoxy with that stuff.... easy to use too... I've even put dye type stain into the 222 and used it as a tint...worked great...
Old 04-14-2004, 08:41 PM
LPA2106

222 is the right number...mid-coat adhesion promoter...

Last edited by LPA2106; 04-14-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Steve_H

if they remove the clear , shoot the 222 , then re-clear would that fix the problem?

Quick Reply: What is happening to my paint??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.