If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    My Boats:
    I aint got $hit
    A 32 or 35 fountain flipped here in austin over the weekend. liquid asset saw most of it happen and picked the people up. they got a couple pics as it was going down. ejected all 4 people, no one died.

My Boats:
    2005 42' Fountain SOLD
    1 Flu Ovr KuKos Nest-WI

My Boats:
    Virginia Beach
    Dayum! Another?

Forum Regulator VIP Member Sydwayz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37' Active Thunder AVH; 17' Speedliner Cat OB
    Does anyone else keep staring at these pics in amazement? I cannot believe the physics of this wreck.

I know some folks that took a 27 Fountain into the woods here in VA years ago. Not a pretty thing from what I am told.

Enjoy the show VIP Member Ron P's Avatar
    The Joisey Shore
    When that happens, they just hit the rev-limiters.
    Until they overheat from lack of water and seize up.

My Boats:
    Whatever you missed your payment on
    In your driveway while you sleep
    I am going to shoot my mouth off for a minute. I have read a few reply's stating that is a tab is running, to pull back on the sticks. DO NOT TUG BACK ON THE STICKS!!!! This will cause a 45 degree barrel roll toward the tab up side of the boat and possibly a hook at the same time depending on your drive setting. The "Kiss of death" running an offshore boat in flat water is this combination, and I have seen many people do it:
    1. Drives up for speed
    2. Add tabs for stability
    3. Tug throttles to slow the boat
    4. Turn

In a stepped hull, this is even worse.

1. Your drives are up out of the water, you now have created a streamlined effect across the boats waterline and lessened resistance with the water -Drag = +Speed.
    2. The driver feels a chine walk or motion caused by the boat requiring more stabuility (The proper input is to lower the drives first) Driver drops tabs for stability. - Tab attitude toward relative waterline = bow down attitude of boat, therefor causing C.G. (Center of Gravity) of boat to shift forward.
    3. Pulling throttles at this point decreases rear stable power input toward waterline and "Settles" the boat hull to the water. Again shifting the C.G. even farther forward. Now your boat is at its most unstable point and bow steering. Any shift of direction will be far overcompensated by the boat. The transom "Wants" to spin around to the front. If the boat has steps, the hull is aerated and will provide less resistance for a "Hook".
    4. Turn. (Oops) changing the direction of the boat is the last thing you will do before ejecting. By turning the wheel you have just steered the back of the boat around...Not the front. You are now sitting on a 10,000lbs merry-go-round. If the throttles were pulled hard enough, the bow can bury itself and cause a barrel roll at a 45. If the bow does not catch but the bottom of the deadrise does, you will pull a completely sideways barrel roll. otherwise the boat will just hook.

The bigger the boat, the more prevalent this action. The best way to avoid this is training and seat time.
    hope this helps someone.
    when gaining stability back
    1. Drives down
    2. Throttles
    3. tabs

Never run you tabs below drives in a turn.

I know some of you race boat drivers will disagree, but I am writing the "Safest" way to do it, not loose or fast!
    Be safe!

Platinum Member Platinum Member sommerfliesby's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2010 Active Thunder 37 Excess
    Frankfort, IL
    Maybe there was a forest fire right there and the guy just wanted to put it out with his Fountain.
    Warming the globe 16 cylinders at a time.

Forget the lanyards...I think it's time for seat switches like my lawn mower. Damn thing kills every time I get off to get another beer...

My Boats:
    '01 Baja 33 Outlaw
    Greenville, SC
    I'm glad I wasn't on the lake that afternoon. I go out one or two times a week after work. The water never gets really rough in that area. This could of been prevented if he was wearing the kill switch lanyard. I'm just glad no one was injured.

My Boats:
    1986 Sea Ray Pachanga 22
    Alexandria, VA
    615 here we come....

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast