Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Engines done  The 402's back on the water. >

Engines done The 402's back on the water.

Notices

Engines done The 402's back on the water.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engines done The 402's back on the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orIkzwdaO6c

Finally got the 402 running right. Heads redone, all new stock 420 parts from the Cams up, rebuilt the carbs. She is now hitting 54 mph, 4,600 rpm on both engines on the same props it came with. I hope to pick up a little more once I change props. When I bought the boat, top speed was 41 mph and 500 rpm difference between engines. Now the boat really has had “The heads redone” “The engines completely gone through” and “The boat runs great.”
I have to send thanks to Mild Thunder, Mike Tkach, Mcprodesign, Griff, and all the OSO members who have a wealth of archived information on the site for all to research. It has been 30 years since my last engine rebuild and that info is priceless.
I also have to send a special thanks out to Leon Derebery and his whole staff at Derebery Performance Marine. They did a great job on my heads and were always there to answer any questions I had and steer me in the right direction. They are true boating enthusiasts who were willing to take the time to help out the little guy.
So after a year with my ass in the bilge it’s time to get a little lake time.
Thanks to all
Chris Bennett
Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are great numbers for a rebuild only, congrats.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those 420's are cammed too high right out of the gate. Get it propped to spin 5000-5200 and it should respond well. Congratulations on getting back on the water.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy it! Nothing like the feeling of a project mostly done (they are never completely done are they?) and I agree the info on OSO is great. Forums are the 2nd best thing the internet has to offer!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad you got it back together and running good Chris. You're speed numbers now seem much more in line for that hull/power combo. Like you said, a there may be a couple mph in it with the propping. Good luck with it