Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Formula 353 FasTec (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77028-formula-353-fastec.html)

Rippem 04-19-2004 11:26 PM

That's one boat Mike...not a statistical average advertised or actual selling price. That boat is clean as hell I'm sure...but that green and gold paint...and the fact that it was modified to boxes, these are things that will keep the price down and prospects away. No offense to T.O. or that boat...but we all know how it is...:rolleyes: Now lets not follow Mike's lead and turn this into another "whatever this or that Fountain is worth, new or used...everything else is worth less" thread. Same running length? I doubt that. More notch, less keel at the water forward, and a 33' to begin with, not a near 34' bottom. The fountain is a very capable hull indeed, but not as big a boat as the Formula. And BTW, Formula is not the be all and end all of boats...it just happens to be where I'm at right now. :D

P.S. Troutly, you are the man for turning me onto that one! ;)

PhantomChaos 04-19-2004 11:42 PM

being a Formula owner myself.........I would say that the 353 you mentioned will go for about $190K to $295K.......these boats actually increase in value.........any dip in the market we have Cheng to thank for!!!!! :p :p :p :D :D

IDRPSTF 04-20-2004 02:23 PM

I am actually not bashing either. But from being in the industry for years (I try and I try to get out) I( go buy Numbers, Longevity of product and book values. Most importantly, I go buy who I can bum some free seat time off of. So my opinions are actually minimal in this.

Comparing weight numbers and "Actual Size" numbers the 353 is a bit closer to a 38 Fountain. If I were at home I could pull up the actual weights (They differ based upon many many variables)
The feel for running a 353 is more similar to a 38 Fountain than a 35. More boat around you. Higher ride. Step placement. And turning in seas (Big Seas).
The 353 is a VERY seaworthy boat. A 38 Fountain is obviously more seaworthy than a 35.
And if we wanted to compare beaks to butts (Swim platforms) for purposes of running waterlines, there are a few feet of difference, compared by scumlines.

One will run a hell of alot faster on smooth water, the other can stay out in the snotty water longer. I guess it just depends what you need it for.

MD

Downtown42 04-20-2004 02:29 PM

Originally posted by IDRPSTF
One will run a hell of alot faster on smooth water, the other can stay out in the snotty water longer. I guess it just depends what you need it for.

MD

And a hell of alot faster in rough water too.

My need is speed.

mr_velocity 04-20-2004 03:15 PM

Ask a simple question on OSO and all hell breaks loose.
The boat was never up forsale, the owner is just now thinking about it. The boat came through with the black 502s and boxes, I think Trenton Marine had ordered it for someone who backed out of the deal in 99 and my buddy bought it in 2000, never wet.
The current deals really hurts the resale, also this is the last year on the warranties so the motors are being gone through and having things like all pumps, exhaust...ect replaced.

The boat may not be faster than a 35 or 38 Fountain, but the ride quality of the Fountain does not come close to that of the Formula. Some people do look for comfort and not all out top speed, if you're main concern is speed then you better buy a cat.:D

mr_velocity 04-20-2004 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Fever Mike

Yep, you want speed buy a Skater! Do doubt about that! I've been on 38 Fountains and 38 Formula's mostly pace boats at races. Personally, I did not think one rode better than the other. I was only a passanger on these boats/ I remember at the St. Pete 2000 Worlds I was a flag holder on the 38 Formula pace boat and I could not believe how bounced around on Tampa Bay this boat got.

I assume you mean race 2, it was incredibly rough that day. Remember we won and those were the only races that we did win. In the milling circle the bow of the boat kept going greenish-blue:D So don't try to play it like it was a flat bay race. How did Treadwell do that year in his Formula?

Speaking of that race, pull up the freeze frame tapes and take a look of the onboards from the Citgo boat. I think it spent more time on it's sides then bottom.

LPA2106 04-20-2004 04:22 PM

I would like to see Formula's get back up there where they belong in stature and performance...after all it's an Aronow boat...

What needs to be addressed?

-a little step tweaking...now the steps add 4-5 mph tweek for another 4-5 mph and you will be up there with the other guys...

-Instrumentation set-up like most offshores...you know the drill...check out a Cig Gun for some mentorship

-Make Silent Thunder platform an option...so you can get the boat with no platform, SS exhaust Tips, add on Aluminum Tubular Platform if you desire it. SHould be no biggie for them.

-Faring option instead of windshield...not round but squared off like the Pantera or Cig's

-More flexible engine/drive options...why not Sterling's and #6's or what the customer wants from the factory?

-Custom graphics available

-That's all ya need..the boat is a beauty...

-great bolsters
-great interior
-great quality in and around
-great looks

Take this advice and keep building the boat pretty much as you have been doing....you will have models for the familyman type and then options for the offshore minded types....it can be done with a few changes and I think I have covered the bases...

...just needs a little more of the "Don" reinstilled into it!

...just suggestions....heck why should they listen? We are only customers...I am tired of this "but they are comfortable riding boatsf" most all equal length boats in the same quality build and league ride in a similar manner....

anything other constructive suggestions for the Porter's?

Downtown42 04-20-2004 04:24 PM

Originally posted by mr_velocity

The boat may not be faster than a 35 or 38 Fountain, but the ride quality of the Fountain does not come close to that of the Formula.

Ohhh, OK your right and I'm wrong. Feel better?

IDRPSTF 04-20-2004 04:45 PM

Mr. Know it All...geesh buddy...your clueless.... only going on what you've read from otheres huh???!!! ROTFLOL
Yup, you caught me! I just go by what I read in powerboat and what is said at the local Hooters at the end of the season. Im clueless

Formulas and Fountains are very different. But that is good because not every boat owner wants the same performance from a boat. So they are not even built for the same "Class" of customer. The Porter family builds a very strong, impeccably well finished, heavy ride, family go fast boat. Just look at the standard features. And the end result is a wonderful boat. Reggie builds a lightweight, low feeboard, fast on stock power go fast boat. Why is this an argument, both boats meet a purpose. And both boats can be altered for speed or family use.

As for "Go look at the asking price of boats".
Asking prices do not set the market, Selling prices do. Shop all day for boats on the Internet and you will have a tainted idea of "Market Value". Until you get pre approved for financing and throw 10% on the table on front of a buyer, you really do not know what it will sell for.
As for questioning my knowledge of how one boat runs compared to another, I have had a very lucky career of getting seat time in many boats right down to the Treadwell formula listed above while it was at DSM.

I dont want this to turn into a pissing contest, It was meant to be informative to Mr. Velocity on asking price for a friend to sell a boat.:D

IDRPSTF 04-20-2004 04:53 PM

-I couldn't agree more about the silent choice. Every one I have sold has pulled it off.
-As for the fairing, good point. That would be a nice option (They cost a fortune)
-The steps are dead on for safety in the Fastech boats. Not too deep, so they still turn without hooking.
The dash actually has a nice laying for really rough rides, when you eyeballs are getting bounced around in your head, its hard to tell which gage is which in a Cig.

I have really enjoyed Formulas in bad weather. Treads old boat was so well dialed in it would have been the perfect boat to give lessons in. And the porters have taken great strides to build a high quality, safe go fast boat.