Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Name and Hailing port text pics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77094-boat-name-hailing-port-text-pics.html)

C_Spray 04-20-2004 02:01 PM

Originally posted by cigarette1
What's the legal size for hailing port? G
See Post #5 if you're documented. If you're not documented, anything goes.

Ms PatriYacht 04-20-2004 02:04 PM

this might be a dumb question, but what is the purpose of having a boat documented.

Stormrider 04-20-2004 02:16 PM

I believe you don't need registration numbers on the bow.

farfrumwerken 04-20-2004 02:39 PM

Lotoparty and C_Spray have it right on the lettering. If you want excrutiating detail, check out the USCG Natl Vessel Documentation Center website at www.uscg.mil/hg/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm. There's also a good explanation about documentation at www.marinebankers.org/registration/uscg.asp. Enjoy!!

Downtown42 04-20-2004 02:43 PM

and there are some state tax advantages. Some banks will demand doc. as it is an international way to clear title.

Steve_H 04-20-2004 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Ms PatriYacht
this might be a dumb question, but what is the purpose of having a boat documented.
NO SALES TAX!!!!!!!!! in missouri anyway. they still get us for a "in lue of sales tax" but its a lot cheaper in most cases depending on the purchase price.

PLUS in missouri you dont have to pay personal property tax on a documented vessal.

OBNOXUS21 04-20-2004 03:54 PM

Originally posted by lotoparty
NO SALES TAX!!!!!!!!! in missouri anyway. they still get us for a "in lue of sales tax" but its a lot cheaper in most cases depending on the purchase price.

PLUS in missouri you dont have to pay personal property tax on a documented vessal.

Don't you just LOVE it? :D :D :D

Ms PatriYacht 04-20-2004 04:11 PM

Thanks, I am not sure what the sales tax laws in MI are. I guess this is something we will look into for future boats. We do not pay personal property taxes on boats here, or at least not on ones at 43' or under.

McGary911 04-20-2004 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Donzi doesnt have a name, but people usually get a kick out of my big boat's name. PS - when naming a boat, never give me 12 beers and start talking about "I dare you to" :)

Von Bongo 04-20-2004 06:47 PM

Originally posted by lotoparty

Wrong LOTO there is personal property tax on documented vessels in missouri at least you do if it is located in Camden County.

Personal Property Assessment:
Every person owning or who holds tangible personal property on the first day of January, including all such property purchased that day, shall be liable for taxes thereon during the same calendar year (Chap. 137.075 RSMo)

All personal property shall be assessed in the county where the owner resides (houseboats, cabin cruisers, boats/vessels 26 ft. or longer, [b]USCG documented vessels[/b[, floating boat docks, and manufactured homes shall be assessed where they are located). All articles of personal use contained with the residence or dwelling place are NOT subject to taxation.