Rally Call For Safety and Security

Notices

Rally Call For Safety and Security

Old 04-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts
Exclamation Rally Call For Safety and Security

I am so saddened by all the latest news I have been hearing about accidents, injuries, deaths and thefts in and around OSO. My prayers go out to all those people and the loved ones who are grieving.

I wanted to take this opportunity for all of us to share any and all ideas we may have to make this season and future seasons safer for all of us. Please post any safety/security tips or practices you use or have used through the years.

Example: C-Spray gave the poker run world the ten commandments and I plan on implementing them into all my hi-performance runs this year.

Also, I am looking into LoJack. Any input on this would be great.

I know that together we can go fast and be safe. Let's all pool our resources and have a great year.

Thanks, Tom A.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As evidenced by all the latest accidents, just because you have a big boat with cool engines, you better know how to drive it and how it reacts. Any type of motorized toys can KILL PEOPLE.

Let's see some more common sense used. I have a sad feeling that when I can finally afford a 38 foot go fast, I won't be able to get insurance for it, even though I have been boating for over 30 years.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Good Start with obviously smart thinking.

Anyone have LoJack in their boat?

I never leave Dock without my handheld GPS and Cell Phone (with cigarette lighter plug).

Anyone got advice on boating courses?

My training came through running in APBA and USOffshore "A" Class.

Keep the ideas flowing.

Tom A.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Registered

Well Tom,
I have to agree with you on this one. I for one am one that is getting my insurance cancelled this year as a result of other peoples actions. When will all these *******s realize that they are not just hurting themselves. Look at the stupid ASS that just put his boat in the trees in N. Ga., this is his second TOTAL loss! As far as I'm concrened, he should be REQUIRED to pay for the boat out of pocket. I've heard the discussion about the lanyards, what about the throttles? I've had the the tab buttons stick before and believe me, you can pull back on the sticks quick enough to keep the boat under control, if you know what you're doing.

I think it is too easy for people with with a BIG check book and NO experience to buy a performance boat these days. I have heard this from too many pro's that go out in customer's boats' and come back just shacking their heads or NOT running the boats at full throttle. And BELIEVE me these ARE PRO'S.

Robert
Old 04-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Registered

Lojack does not offer a marine recovery product. Additionally, there is better technology than Lojack when it comes to recovery products. I offer GPS based tracking systems that will notify you the moment your boat moves or alarm triggers. You can get gps info as to its location from any telephone or computer.

A complete system costs around $600 and are in stock and ready to ship. Installation is very smple.

Feel free to call me at (813)882-8477 for more information.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarms
Old 04-22-2004, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I are just finishing up a 9 week course on boaters safety put on by the our local chapter of the United States Power Squadron. This should be a good starting point, there is a lot of information covered and you actually have to pass a test at the end. I think everyone should be required to take one especially the first time boater.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a very good course. My dad dragged me too it MANY years ago. Damn glad I took it.....I learned a lot of good information.

Good common sense is one of the most important things to utilize when boating. Unfortunately, you can not teach that.

Be safe!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Registered

If you don't have time for the course, at least buy the book and read it a few times.

Took the course years ago but like to refresh with the book once in a while.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Registered

A lot of the Power Squadrons offer an 8-hour BoatSmart boating safety course. Usually one whole Saturday or two Satruday mornings. Could be good for those strapped for time. I personally prefer the long course - a lot more info in there.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The most important part of boat control is self-control. Keep your head straight. Otherwise, Darwin kicks in.

Expect the unexpected (SC Cigarette fatality) .

When you see others screwing up - get mad, and let them know. If that doesn't get results, call the authorities. If that means ruining a friendship, don't worry - they were never your type of people, and therefore not your friends in the first place.

Educate yourself and your boatmate(s). Take all the courses you can, read what you can, and inform novice passengers of the basics of boating behavior, location/use of safety equipment, and safety procedures.

Prepare and Emergency Instruction card in case you get knocked out or disabled: How to properly operate the radio and the boat, who to call, etc.

Push your boating club/organization to be pro-active about this and enforce their safety policies.

Take care of your stuff. That leaking steering hose, or broken drive mounting stud won't heal itself.

Remember Murphy's Law, and all the associated corollaries that go with it. They're true.

Don't be stupid. Ever. If you have doubts about what you're doing, that's God's way of saying "You shouldn't be doing that...."

Last edited by C_Spray; 04-23-2004 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Rally Call For Safety and Security

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.