Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Notices

Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Old 04-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by HyperBaja
Just what Ive heard....

Most important thing is to keep the boat on plane and trimmed out through a turn.
I would find this VERY dangerous , keeping the boat trimmed out in a turn increases your chances of rolling over the keel and catching a chine "SPLASH!!!", slow down , tuck in the trim , turn' then get back on the sticks"or in my case stick " dropping an outside tab can also help. The more hull you use in a turn the better in the case of a stepped hull you do not want to turn entirely on the stepped surface it"s design is to break free!. By trimming in your wetting more hull and turning on a sharper part of the keel. This is just an opinion of what I have learned over the years...
Old 04-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by stinger312
I would find this VERY dangerous , keeping the boat trimmed out in a turn increases your chances of rolling over the keel and catching a chine "SPLASH!!!", slow down , tuck in the trim , turn' then get back on the sticks"or in my case stick " dropping an outside tab can also help. The more hull you use in a turn the better in the case of a stepped hull you do not want to turn entirely on the stepped surface it"s design is to break free!. By trimming in your wetting more hull and turning on a sharper part of the keel. This is just an opinion of what I have learned over the years...
And this is exactly why accidents happen..... When I got my TS Gun I listened to people like Tres on things to "never" do while running. First thing he told me was never trim the drives in for turns..... nuff said!! My personal opinion is that when turning a twin step in a hurry it is an absolute to keep the bow light and the sticks down. Almost everyone that I have talked to that has spun and rolled said it was because they chopped the throttles. Of course we wont talk about drives and gimbals breaking in turns causing spins.........
Old 04-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very good topic. I high performance school would be the ticket. Not for the most speed, but for safe handeling at all speeds. The do's and don'ts.

But just browse the board. Some looking for that little extra to break that 100 mph mark. At that speed, better have you I's dotted and T's crossed, beforehand.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:34 AM
BJM
Registered

From my own experience of racing a 27 Activator twin step. DO NOT tuck in drives in a turn!
Old 04-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A better idea than schools is how about people get a video from freeze frame when they buy the boat with nothing but spins, rolls and stuffs!! Maybe that will grab their attention. The issue seems to be a lack of respect for the boats themselves. It certainly seems that with all of that hull surrounding you that very little will go wrong but the realities are much different. The problems is not with the people reading this forum, because they already show signs of an interest in learning. The problem is the average knucklhead that can stroke a check for the boat.... then gets in with some other people and figures that he knows it all. These are the guys that usually do not hurt themselves but do hurt others with them. If this non-sense keeps up our insurance will either get too high, or the govt will require licensing to drive.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:04 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Two questions....and then I'll shut up.

1. After all of the "tips" on turning stepped hulls above, does anyone still believe that stepped vee hulls are as safe or safer than non stepped hulls?

2. Does everyone understand that errors in answering #1 above can/does actually kill people?.........dead?
......permanently?....forever?

T2x.......... saddened by the circumstances
Old 04-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by stinger312

That is 100% incorrect. If you drive a stepped boat like you have explained you will be the next to go swimming.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by T2x
Two questions....and then I'll shut up.

1. After all of the "tips" on turning stepped hulls above, does anyone still believe that stepped vee hulls are as safe or safer than non stepped hulls?

Turning either one at high speeds is a ticket to disaster. Ego generally plays it's part as well.

2. Does everyone understand that errors in answering #1 above can/does actually kill people?.........dead?
......permanently?....forever?

Yes, that is why more people should get their own seat time before showing off and inviting an accident. It's the driver/owners responsibility to respect their equipment and passengers.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks D-hlaw and PokerRunGun T/S. The trimming issue was probably my biggest eye opener when training with Randy. I come from a deep V background and tucked in the trim. Randy really drove this one home. Tucking the trim will change CG and help lift the back of the boat out and around.

This is our first entry into performance and look forward to seat time, seat time, seat time. Really appreciate the input from the experienced stepped drivers out there.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Registered

"Tucking the trim will change CG"...it will not change CG...it will change the direction of force.

Quick Reply: Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.