Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
This may take some time to look at - but unbelievable & eerie all the same. >

This may take some time to look at - but unbelievable & eerie all the same.

Notices

This may take some time to look at - but unbelievable & eerie all the same.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree, I can't imagine that amount of radiation causing 30 deaths. Granted, those 30 were immediate, but what about all of those who were exposed and then were acutally able to leave the area? It also makes you wonder what effect any of this had on fetal development. There had to be pregnant women in town that day. It seems like there were reports of abnormalities in the following year or so.

It would be interesting to know just how many people were on the job that day. If any of them walked away and how long they survived. Unfortunately, there are lots of questions that we may never get straightforward answers to.

Like Bonnie said, the report you read can definitely be slanted based on the feelings of the author. I did some research on the long term effects of Ritalin once and found that one report will say that there are no lasting preledictions and one that said children on Ritalin are more prone to drug addictions later in life. Go figure.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ange
I have to agree, I can't imagine that amount of radiation causing 30 deaths. Granted, those 30 were immediate, but what about all of those who were exposed and then were acutally able to leave the area? It also makes you wonder what effect any of this had on fetal development. There had to be pregnant women in town that day. It seems like there were reports of abnormalities in the following year or so.

It would be interesting to know just how many people were on the job that day. If any of them walked away and how long they survived. Unfortunately, there are lots of questions that we may never get straightforward answers to.

Like Bonnie said, the report you read can definitely be slanted based on the feelings of the author. I did some research on the long term effects of Ritalin once and found that one report will say that there are no lasting preledictions and one that said children on Ritalin are more prone to drug addictions later in life. Go figure.
You're sure right Ange; It is too bad you really have to be skeptical about what you read these days. It seems we are so divided that no one wants to find facts that might dispute what they said. Just look at all the political books that have been released this year alone. I think it is a damn shame when the:

<<< people on that side

are so blinded by their beliefs. All kidding aside we really need to pay consideration to scientific evidence in this matter, and not the agenda minded people who take pictures of dead or diseased livestock a thousand miles away and insist it was caused by this.

Roby
Old 04-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Registered

I am not sure how many died but I just can't see the 300K-400K figure being remotely possible...here are my reasons why.

1. From all the census numbers I have read Chernobyl had a population of around 10,000 people in 1986. The largest population figure I could find said 46,000 people. We know a lot of these people survived so we are no where near the large numbers.

2. There are no other towns outside the chernobyl area. This is an area of small towns and villages. The nearest large settlements within a hundred miles are Chernigov (Ukraine, population 270,000) and Gomel (Belarus, population 500,000)

I think the 30 number is closer than the 300K to 400K numbers...but neither are correct.

Just my opinion from different sources I have read. None of them are consistent.

Last edited by clearcut3; 04-23-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Registered

good point Clear....
Old 04-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its still fubar though.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most weren't accouned for on a census. it's still was a dark ages country and most weren't accounted for in anyway before or after

but anyway................ lets try that with the middle east