Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Recent crashes and stepped hulls >

Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Notices

Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Old 04-21-2004, 02:16 PM
LPA2106

Default Recent crashes and stepped hulls

I am going to admit having very little time in a stepped hull....I am sincere in asking how to handle one as it was brought up in another post.."you should know how to handle the stepped hull first...."

...so how how about some pointers and personal experiences...on stepped hulls...

...also it's a tribute to the companies who made those boats that the boats didn't rupture gas tanks and explode and the actual damage didn't cause the boats to disintegrate...they were just cut in half and absorbed impact...I saw a few crashes of lesser made cruisers and you have to play "52 pickup"...these boats stayed together well for the enormity of the crash..

Old 04-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just what Ive heard....

Most important thing is to keep the boat on plane and trimmed out through a turn.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it slow until you know what you are doing!!!

Its called "Seat Time"

I wish Tres or Phil or Creig would start a school. I am sure the insurance companies would back it and the builders would donate. Especially cats. Otherwise Offshore boats will be the new A.T.C.'s
Old 04-21-2004, 03:35 PM
LPA2106

Good ideas..like Wellcraft's Scarab school....they got 3-4 ..30' and 38' Scarabs and met at the South Seas Island Plantation Hotel/Marina...did classroom and water lessons...couple days or so....management was there...everyone said it was a blast...there was a fee I think maybe included if you bought a boat..top drawer offshore boaters teaching....a good time about learning safety....should be something manufacturers sponsor since if too many accidents occur then they ultimately pay the price too....I can't imagine a v-hull in a tree..I can see a Cat take off and do it....but I always thought a v was much more controllable

Last edited by LPA2106; 04-21-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Registered

Are there any high performance boating schools? I did one for race cars , 20 laps at pocono race way, hit 185 mph in a winston cup car. It was amazing. Even though I dont go 185 with my SUV, it's still fun and educational.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 rule Step hull or non Step hull, Always check and wear Kill switches ! It's wise to carry a second set also. Jo
Old 04-21-2004, 03:56 PM
LPA2106

...kill switches a must...but a lot of my friends never do....so maybe if there was a "passive system"...could such a thing be developed? Maybe seat switch/floor switch combo working in concert to make sure you are at the helm and if not kill the engines in a given time period? I have seen those "backup" sensors used in car rear bumpers and in production lines...if the item is not there it is sensed and a cascade of events occur...with a backup in place...so if the radar sensor dosen't "see" you the engines are killed while underway...could easily be done with lots of testing first as usual...worth a thought? That would with out a doubt work well...if you are gone for say 4 seconds on the radar...engines shut down with an audible warning beeper first! Could rig 'em for the driver and then install them for passengers too with a audible buzzer for "man overboard"....it wasn't as big an issue with a 60 mph boat but these things are going home now with an average of 85 mph and many with lots more speed!

...oh if if drivers are flying out of their seats do we need fastening systems? Is it safer to be strapped in or flying out if you are going say 90-120 mph?

...hey it's about saving a life and then our sport..

Last edited by LPA2106; 04-21-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I understand the importance of the kill switch and it will always be connected. But I think LPA2106's question is a great one for this board with the combined seat times represented here experience has to be high.

Stepped drivers, what keeps you IN the boat...Tips you have learned over time than can assist our learning curves.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Registered

1. Never run your tabs deeper than your drives. (The closer they get, the more you are chancing it)
2. Turning with tabs down = swim practice
3. Never tug throttles back during a turn.

Look to the rear of the steps on most boats, flat bottom, built for speed. Look and let your imagination take over. If the drives arent in the water...What keeps the boat going straight? Nothing!
Old 04-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Registered

"Is it safer to be strapped in or flying out if you are going say 90-120 mph"

I would think if the boat rolls it would be better to be trown away from it. instead of trapped underneath it.

Quick Reply: Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.