Notices

HO'ing again

Old 04-22-2004, 03:24 PM
LPA2106

Default HO'ing again

...I was talking to a tech at MM and he was PRETTY sure the 496's both HO and non HO no longer have a forged crank like the 502's did...they basically come off the GM line...and while being a decent engine...the HP series are all Forged cranks with all the "good parts" and hand assembled....so a pair of 500efi's at +20k over HO's is probably the "right" thing to do...if you can

...I also didn't know that the 575 had a flat tappets cam..no rollers...guess you don't need high and long durations since you force the air in...but I was surprised to find that to be the case with the price and all of going rollers.

Also, they never got into testing synthetics and that's the only reason for no synthetic recommendation...too much time and money to do it...but a couple builders said engine oil temp is critical no matter what oil used...can you control engine oil temp? maybe run it hard for a few minutes before putting away?

...talked to a major high performance engine builder...tested RP and they felt it was great when new but if gas gets into the oil it does some weird stuff and Mobil 1 was more adept at handling contaminants..another builder into high perf is Rp all the way...it never ends..as far as gear lube for the lower units MM has antimony in the Hi perf Lube...lots of testing and they know they have something good...just change it frequently....they say 25hrs on oil and probably drives too...

...so after all this what am I doing?

...Make sure the engine is an HP

...Use RP with frequent changes because my engines are not blower motors where there is more of a chance of gas getting into the oil...

...stick to MM Hi perf gear lube..

...under warranty..stick to MM products..other oils void warr they said.

...change every 20 hours to be extra safe..

Last edited by LPA2106; 04-22-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 04-22-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HO'ing again

Originally posted by LPA2106
...so after all this what am I doing?

yes... WHEN would be a LOGICAL fuc$ing QUESTION.

Please buy a Cig, Formula , Baja, Apache, Concept, Chief etc etc...just please don't buy a Fountain they spin out with too many bubbles underneath and the bottom wax wears off quick.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:04 PM
LPA2106

...now Downtown...you can't be serious

...Our company has a 38' scarab with fresh HP 500's...no steps...will play for a while then decide....since they have a 38' I may get a Pantera 28' some of those sized boats with good power in 'em are such a blast....the wife likes the Cig 188th Street edition...but the only one around has Sterling 1050's and like major bucks...but worth it....and the 42' Fountain...well I must say Reggie knows how to drive it pretty good...he should write a book....seriously...I would buy a copy...oh...I actually heard that bottom waxing causes friction..anyone else hear this?

Last edited by LPA2106; 04-22-2004 at 04:12 PM.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Registered

no I'm just jabbing you back for all the torture you've put me thru I'm still waiting for the pic you promised you would post of you.

I do enjoy your enthusiasm and interest in boating.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:25 PM
LPA2106

...hey Downtown....as for the picture..let's just for now say I could be a "fill in" for Jackie Gleason"...

....everybody that knows me can't believe I am into Offshore boats...but when I hit the throttles as they sip their mai tai in their cruisers....they get a "wake" sandwich..

..as for enthusiasm...man I had to be a fish in another life...and I love learning about these kind of boats....the problem is that there are so very many great boats...not really a bad one in the bunch...I am a critical kind of guy...but at heart appreciate everything that the industry as a whole has done to bring the products out that exist..it's awesome stuff...and Research and Development is a big $$$ sacrifice..so the record setters are paying a big price buy pushing the envelope...back in the 80's 60mph was the standard now it's more like 85 mph in an offshore...amazing stuff
Attached Thumbnails HO'ing again-left3.jpg  

Old 04-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

A picture of the boat might be nice?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:04 PM
LPA2106

...looks just like this..T-HP500's about 77mph with fresh power and all I would think....
Attached Thumbnails HO'ing again-redone-500.jpg  

Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get beat-up a lot as a child?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Registered

That's a great looking Scarab!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.